molly fry question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had mollies for a while now, but this is the first time I have had some survive! They usually just end up as tasty snacks.

I have five that are now about 5-7cm long. How large will they need to be before you can sex them. I don't want any inbreeding here :)

Not sure how old they have to be, but I know with my guppies I can start to see the gravid spot on the females with in 2-3 weeks

Thanks, guys.

These all look female, so I wasn't sure as to when you would be able to tell. These five have survived long enough that they won't fit into the bolivan's nor the other female mollies' mouths.

Usually when I have molly fry I usually find that it's not the mollies that eat them as much as...every other fish I own does lol. The mollies I have usually only eat a few of them if any cuz I've kept the mothers and babies together before and it's usually my bettas and gourami that eat them not the mollies.

It's tough to sex mollies and sometimes they can change their sex. A lot of people disagree with me here, but I have bought an adult femail silver sailfin molly, a month later I had a male molly in my tank chasing after the females with his gonopodium going nuts. I watch my tanks closely and would notice it if it happened before. It was extremly weird but it did happen.

It takes a few months (3-4) before I can usually sex my mollies and I think it depends on how fast they grow and what you feed them. I feed my Baby Brine Shrimp and they grow twice as fast and you can sex them eariler.

I have them in with some bolivians and two female mollies. They are too big now for the bolivians to eat.

I would try feeding them baby brine shrimp, but the bolivians would get there first.

Guess I will have to wait to sex them when they are larger. Between the five, they go from nearly all black (except for a little white on the belly) to a honey/golden colour. I'm really interested to see what colours they develop as they grow.

The colouring of the fry sound exactly the same as mine. I have a few pure black fry and some a golden brown colour. The mother was a black molly and the father was either an orange sailfin or a silver sailfin. It should be interesting to see how they turn out.

Well, they are now about 1-1.5cm long and I can finally tell the sexes. I have two males and three females.

The colourations are the only reason I separated them. I wanted to see how they would turn out, and it seems like I have a whole United Nations of colours :)

I don't know if I will keep them, but we'll see. Maybe the lfs will want some.

Back
Top Bottom