Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Exclamation molly fry rapidly dying!!!! help!!!

Well, i bought 3 pregnant females on the weekend, 2 gave birth on sunday. The black molly had only 8 babies in the morn and the multicolured molly had 20.
I put them in a seperate 2 gallon tank with no filter. on tue and wed 3 babies died altogether (only the multicoloured mothers babies) so i added a filter (fluval U1).
The next day (2day) i found 4 dead babies (all multicoloured mother again) so i thought the filter pressure/current was too high fo a small tank, so i moved them into a larger tank. During the move 12 multicoloured babies died!
i think it was the stress of the move. oddly, NO black molly fry have died!!!!! and i also have another prego molly and dont want a repeat of the last 4 days.
Any advice welcome

Old 10-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Was there a heater on the tank as well? Have you tested the ammonia levels in the 2 g tank?

Old 10-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #3

yes there is and was a heater in every tank theyve been in, as for the test i might do it tommorow if i can find my kit! i have been doing water changes daily tho. i think another1 died! Im thinking tho the shop said they would drop in a week but i knew the black molly would drop the next day, whereas the other molly i put in a net for safety as she was pretty big. could i have made her give birth prematurely, thus weakening the babies?????
Old 10-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think that you should round that test kit up now if at all possible and test the water
Old 10-23-2009, 03:25 AM   #5

hi, ill test the water tonite with wht testsb i got....!
4 more dead this morning, including black molly fy. ive only got 9 out of the 28 left and i think so more or all of the 9 will die
sorry cant test now cuz its 7:30 am in wales and i got school, and assessments......i was hopin they would give birth for half term!
Old 10-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #6

ph = 7.2 - 7.6
Nitrates= 5.0 - 10ppm
Nitrites= 0ppm
Ammonia= 0ppm

well...firstly, 8 more dead 2day, 1 left and nemo (its name!) has gone into the main tank in a breeder net for safety. Nitrates r high but i do a water change every day and added a filter 2 days ago! but, as u no 3 died before the filter but when it was added they started dying in huge numbers. need help! v confused! i've got a prego fish waiting and i want her babies alive!!!!
Old 10-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

nitrate isnt high at all... did you acclimate the fry when you moved them? are the water parameters close to the same in both tanks?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #8

yes, i did i floated them in cups for each tank they were in. im considering spliting the main tank for the next fry, only nemo left and i cant find him in his net! i hope i will. I dont no why they started dying in large nubers (4+) a day when the filter was added!!!

Tags
api, dyi, dying, fry, molly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com