Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Molly gave birth, help with after care !!

Hi,
Any advise would be much appreciated .... I have some previous experiance with fish but nothing about breeding !!

Monday evening im home feeding the fish, watching them i notice this female being chased constantly and a bubble coming out her bum (well it looked like it) i done some research figured our she was pregnant and presume she was near to giving birth. Since i only got these fish on Saturday i was not expecting this. In a panic and the pet stores shut i made a homemade birthing pen, seperated her to give her alone time, tided tights over the filer nosel and shortly after she gave birth. She eat one baby but i fed her and after she didnt eat anymore. She continued to give birth and and clear/yellow ball come out which i presume was an afterbirth thing. She then gave birth to one last fry and that was it. The holes i made in a clear pot were big enough and she swam out.
The mother seems to be eating well, and active but what i am concerned about is the males in the tank. One is constantly puting his top fins up and following her everywhere, and nipping at her underneath. Do i interveen and seperate her from the rest for more alone time?
I have counted the babys today and i swear there is more then i watch her give birth to, Is it possible she can have more a day or so later ??
I have no idea if this is her first pregnancy or not. I count 14 baby and 1 eating so 13 left. Tuesday i count 9 i presume the rest where hiding or eaten. Today i have counted 20 !!
Any help or advise will be appreciated.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Separate them so she can rest for week or so as we'll as the babies because they will get eaten

Tags
birth, care, molly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com