Molly has eggs outside body?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vampyrechic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was watching my fish and noticed my mollie has eggs outside her body. Im really worried. The male has been following her and harassing her all day. I caught her just to show you what I mean, then released her. Will she be ok?

Attachments

• 0716121220.jpg
    0716121220.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 0716121221.jpg
    0716121221.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 142
Your Molly

Hello Vamp...

Since Mollies are livebearing fish, it's unlikely the egg-like things on your fish, are eggs. If it's been some time since the last water change, it would be a good idea to do a large one soon.

B

I actually did a 50% WC last night. I do understand that they are live bearing, but the live fry start off as eggs inside the female and then develop into the live fry before being born.

Vampyrechic said:
I actually did a 50% WC last night. I do understand that they are live bearing, but the live fry start off as eggs inside the female and then develop into the live fry before being born.

Yes that is true. She could be aborting them, I'm thinking that's weird though.

I agree. Very weird. She hasnt changed much. But the eggs seem to be bloody now...I hope she makes it.

IMO to me this sounds prolapsed uterus, it can happen when the fry grow to large while developing and cause injury to the mother. I have not had personal experience with this but have heard about it on many occasions. Not fully for sure if there is a cure, I would recommend isolating her so she is without stress and so no other males try to mate with her and hopefully she will heal on her own. Best of luck

Thanks for the info everyone. She is much better today and all the eggs have been released!

Back
Top Bottom