Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2005, 02:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

molly- male or female? pregnant?

How do determine the gender of a molly?

When do I know to put a pregnant molly into the nursery? How do I tell if birth is imminent?

Old 10-15-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
Molly's gender is determined either by their dorsal or anal fin. If it's a sailfin molly, the male will have a really BIG dorsal fin and also the male will have a "stick-like" fin underneath him, whereas a females anal fin will just plain look like a normal fin.

Female mollies take about a month to give birth, during that time their stomachs will get fat(naturally) and then it will begin to "Square off", which means that the body just looks more square shaped. When the babies are almost ready, you'll see an "eye spot" which looks like ..an eye. When they're a few days to a week before birth they'll get really fat again. You'll definitely know when they give birth though, cuz they'll be really thin o.o and the babies will probably hide on you.

Tags
female, male, molly, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com