Molly question /help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kingfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just bought 2 Mollies one male and one female . The male is kinda bigger the female is a little smaller not that small . How many days will I say them breeding or signs of baby’s etc . I heard it’s better to get 2 female and one male ..... should I get another male and 2/3 more female . Would the 2 male help the breeding cycle . So many question

That's too small. You need at least 10gal per molly. They are too active for a small tank. Maybe you can keep the fry in the 10 gal.

That's too small. You need at least 10gal per molly. They are too active for a small tank. Maybe you can keep the fry in the 10 gal.

I heard a 20 g is recommended if your breeding . I’m not sure if 10 would work ?

I don't know how big your mollies are but they get between 2-7 inches depending on breed. What kind did you get?

They are still kinda small . I got one white and one orange. I just know they are mollies

What do their back fins/tail fin look like? Are they short or long? Can you post a pic?
I would still get a bigger tank for the adults and keep the fry separate in the 10 gal.

The plan was breeding them and feeding them to my arowana that is in a 75 gallon tank . And my flowerhorn . Not planning to keep them . So do u think 10 galloon is ok if I do that

With the tank being that small the parent are more likely to eat the babies. Are you feeding the fry to the larger fish or waiting til they are bigger? Either way you want the fish to be healthy, even if they are just food.
The amount of water changes you would have to do with that many mollies (being the big waste producers they are) would have to be large and frequent. I would go with a 20 gallon at least.

Sorry the picture didn't load. You have a lyretail/sailfin jollies. They will get bigger than shortfinned mollies.

Sorry the picture didn't load. You have a lyretail/sailfin jollies. They will get bigger than shortfinned mollies.

Just need them to breed . Not keeping them as pet but dinner for my arowana. Do u think that’s ok for a 10 g. I’m not keeping it as a pet ??? .

Just need them to breed . Not keeping them as pet but dinner for my arowana

One more question . If I buy a different species of Mollies would they still breed if they are cross breed ??? Or does it have to be the same species to breed ???

Like I said below in a 10 gallon the parent mollies will just eat the babies before you can find them. You also want your fish, yes even if they are just food, to be healthy or they won't be nutritious for your big fish. People tend to avoid feeder guppies for this reason. I'd go with a 20 gallon tank.
Yes mollies will interbreed with each other.

You need a way bigger holding tank for your live food if you're gonna feed an arowana. You also need a bigger tank for your arowana eventually.

I'd get a 40 gallon breeder tank and put feeder goldfish and guppies in it.

You need a way bigger holding tank for your live food if you're gonna feed an arowana. You also need a bigger tank for your arowana eventually.

I'd get a 40 gallon breeder tank and put feeder goldfish and guppies in it.

Goldfish isn’t that healthy I heard some have worms etc , I used to buy them for 12 cent . Plenty of time . So now Im planing on Mollies breeding . I already for 2 mollies that’s pregnant . I will plan to get a 20 gallon later on . Waiting until it’s in sell

Back
Top Bottom