Molly tank, desperate for babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishayFishay

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10g that I got last weekend(cycled) the water parameters are all on point. Had a black female molly for about 3 weeks now and bought a female dalmation who I'm expecting to be pregnant. I just purchased a Cremesicle male molly on Monday and he settled in pretty well (holds his own in the tank) He's seemed pretty strong and aggressive but not in a mating matter. If that makes any sense, I will provide better pictures later on about the possibly pregnant molly and I was thinking of maybe keeping her in the main tank to give birth (I have a one gallon if I need to separate her) any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422464879.489576.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422464895.291242.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your Mollies

Hello Fish...

A 10 gallon tank is really too small for a Molly. The main reason is, the water chemistry in such a small tank can change very quickly because of dissolving wastes from the fish. A tank this size, will require a minimum of two 50 percent water changes per week to keep the tank water as clean as the Mollies need it. This species is the most particular of all the livebearing fish about water conditions.

Good luck.

B

Well then what do you consider for the fish I should keep?

I have a 10g with mollies and they do just fine
You have to go by your own judgement on if they are happy in the tank, healthy, etc. The guy at petco told me you could have 50 fish in a 10 gallon but you'd be doing water changes every hour. So with that being said; it's the maintenance

Taylor

Molly females hit 3-5". So it's also swimming room and long term health.

They may survive, but become stunted, and that may shorten their lifespan considerably also.

Molly females hit 3-5". So it's also swimming room and long term health.

They may survive, but become stunted, and that may shorten their lifespan considerably also.

Thanks for the advice man, I actually decided I'm gonna turn them in at my LFS and hopefully they'll get better homes. Especially the pregnant one. I'm just gonna settle down with a school of smaller tetras and maybe some otos

Back
Top Bottom