Momma fish sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonesaw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Welll, after my dalmation molly gave birth a few days ago, she hasn't been acting right. She'll sit still somewhere in the tank and wiggle back and forth with her fins clamped. This happened before with another molly ( when I didn't exactly know what I was doing, so I'm sure my water was terrible) and she died. Another had her fry and was overdue to drop them and then she died. I did a pwc 2 days ago. i'll be able to check my params when I get home from work, but I was wondering if there's something I should be doing for the moms before and after birth, or what else I could be doing wrong. My pH is usually between 8 and 8.2. I also recently brought home 3 new lf zebra danios, and one turned up dead last night, with no previously noticed signs of being sick. Sorry to ramble and sorry if this should be under sick fish. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

This thread belongs both under sick fish, and breeding because of the molly recently giving birth. My mollies get a little skiddish after their births, and hide in my big house decoration. After a few days, they come out regularly, and become part of the community again. If it were only your molly acting like this, I would recommend seperation for 4-6 days. However, considering that you recently discovered a dead danio on top of your molly acting up, water checks need to be done. Check your amonia levels for sure.

Give us more details about the tank.
What kind of fish inhabit it? How many?
What do you have in there in terms of decorations and hiding places?
What size is the tank?
How often do you do water changes?
-Answering these questions will allow me to help you more in comparrison to my own tank.

Ok, I just tested my water, pH 8.2, ammo between 0 and .25 (I assume from adding the danios), trites 0, trates 5. This is before my planned pwc, which I do about 2x a week. They are in a 60 gallon, with a couple of tiny plants and cavey things, but i'm trying to work on more hiding places. There are 7 dal mollies, 3 cremesicle mollies, 4 glofish, 2 zebra danios, 2 red minor tetras (I know they need more in a group, but my husband bought them and the lfs didn't tell him that) and 1 8-10" common pleco (and I know he'll eventually need to be rehomed or moved to a bigger tank).

Back
Top Bottom