Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
NatalieFinniss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 36
More baby Platys

Evening all

I gave the tank a good clean last night and a 30% water change, trying to get my pH levels down as they are pretty high and low and behold I found I have 3 more babies than I originally knew about. They look like they're from different fish as the 2 larger ones that are orange (I knew I had one orange baby) are bigger than the two tiny black ones that were actually sitting in the sponge of the filter. Don't know who and when these little ones popped out from. None of my fish are black, so don't know if they'll change colour as they grow. It's all a bit of a learning curve as I'm pretty new to fish keeping, but they all seem to be happy despite the high pH levels.
__________________

__________________
NatalieFinniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
JoeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 168
If some of your platies have black patterning like spots, then the black one could just have more dominant genes when it comes to that pattern.

Those platies will overrun that tank fast I have a tank with them and haven't had to buy new fish for years even though almost all the originals are gone
__________________

__________________
African Cichlids, Water Conditions, Disease Treatment, Water Change Shortcuts
JoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
NatalieFinniss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 36
I think this is going to be the case. I was careful to only buy females but of course we know that that doesn't stop them breeding!!
__________________
NatalieFinniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
JoeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 168
A male always sneaks in there somewhere
__________________
African Cichlids, Water Conditions, Disease Treatment, Water Change Shortcuts
JoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,753
I saw you mention that you were worried about your PH levels. Don't be. Just keep them consistent and 95% of fish will be happy. Platties especially. They're hardy little guys! More often than not, jacking with your PH will result in way more problems that just keeping it stable with regular water changes.
__________________
High-Tech 55 gallon-10 gallon reef
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:11 AM   #6
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo
 
Barliman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Los Angeles, 3rd door on the left
Posts: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieFinniss View Post
Evening all

I gave the tank a good clean last night and a 30% water change, trying to get my pH levels down as they are pretty high and low and behold I found I have 3 more babies than I originally knew about.
Welcome to the club! I added five sunset fire platys to my 20-long a few months ago and one day noticed a fry dashing out for food. Then, as time passed, there was another and another another... I was being overrun by platys.

My poor neons were getting stressed and hiding in the plants a lot: the platys were too active for them.

Anyway, I think weekend took five to the LFS (including the two males, I think and hope) and I've had a 10g set up for about a month now to grow out seven juveniles for their eventual trip to the store.They're a fun bunch: very active, very fast, and *always* hungry.

One good thing out of this: I've learned how to properly bag fish for transport.
__________________
----
Now open: "JJ&J's Seafood Buffet" 20g long planted freshwater.
Barliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
NatalieFinniss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
I saw you mention that you were worried about your PH levels. Don't be. Just keep them consistent and 95% of fish will be happy. Platties especially. They're hardy little guys! More often than not, jacking with your PH will result in way more problems that just keeping it stable with regular water changes.

I must admit they do seem very healthy and don't appear to be suffering in any way, but they said, I am a worrier and will worry about anything given the chance, so probably am worrying unnecessarily.
__________________
NatalieFinniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
NatalieFinniss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barliman View Post
Welcome to the club! I added five sunset fire platys to my 20-long a few months ago and one day noticed a fry dashing out for food. Then, as time passed, there was another and another another... I was being overrun by platys.



My poor neons were getting stressed and hiding in the plants a lot: the platys were too active for them.



Anyway, I think weekend took five to the LFS (including the two males, I think and hope) and I've had a 10g set up for about a month now to grow out seven juveniles for their eventual trip to the store.They're a fun bunch: very active, very fast, and *always* hungry.



One good thing out of this: I've learned how to properly bag fish for transport.

That's something that does concern me as I've only got a little 30 litre tank and here in the UK the shops don't take them back. I only have Platys in my tank (5 adults and I think 4 babies but there could be more that I don't know about) and the tank could quite easily become overrun. I am thinking that maybe they were not a good choice but now I have them I am very fond of them and have a panic if I can't see one when I do the daily head count!
__________________
NatalieFinniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
NatalieFinniss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMan View Post
A male always sneaks in there somewhere

Those pesky fellas!!
__________________
NatalieFinniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
JoeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieFinniss View Post
That's something that does concern me as I've only got a little 30 litre tank and here in the UK the shops don't take them back. I only have Platys in my tank (5 adults and I think 4 babies but there could be more that I don't know about) and the tank could quite easily become overrun. I am thinking that maybe they were not a good choice but now I have them I am very fond of them and have a panic if I can't see one when I do the daily head count!

You could always take away a good amount of the decor if you are heavily decorated. The fry would get eaten up quick
__________________

__________________
African Cichlids, Water Conditions, Disease Treatment, Water Change Shortcuts
JoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
baby, platy, platys

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free: (Trenton,MI) Platys - Blue Platys & Red Wag Platys Ritter101 Archive 6 03-17-2012 08:13 PM
baby mysteries and baby platys? kathleen55 Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 0 09-17-2011 02:45 PM
Platys and baby platys Chapin Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 2 09-26-2008 05:04 PM
Feeding baby platys? Some advice? sarah5775 Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 2 03-21-2007 08:34 PM
Baby Platys - Now What? billyq Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 4 08-30-2004 11:19 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.