Move my guppies or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
Should I remove my five female guppies to a ten gal? Also, the tank is freshly cycled with my big tank's media so should I add them slowly or all at once? They are all pregnant and I want them to have fry away from the big tank so I can raise the babies more easily. I'm worried they will abort- three are very heavily pregnant

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Depends on what was in the "big tank". Was,there more bioload in the tank? If there was more bioload than 5 female guppies, you can put them all in at once.

My large tank is 30 gal, and relatively heavily stocked. This doesn't really apply anymore though because one female dropped about fifty fry in the ten and the other four females panic as soon as I put them in there- one almost died overnight

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

My large tank is 30 gal, and relatively heavily stocked. This doesn't really apply anymore though because one female dropped about fifty fry in the ten and the other four females panic as soon as I put them in there- one almost died overnight

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

The other guppies may drop later, or they may have aborted out of stress.

Oh I know, they are all back in the big tank. I nearly lost my best girl because apparently the ten is terrifying

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I lost a pregnant female that I moved from the 55g to the 15g to give birth. She was so stressed by the move that she had jumped out of the tank. When my other half went to check on her he discovered she'd jumped when he accidentally stood on her :-( bye bye mummy and babies!

Your Fish

Hello em...

There's no reason to set up another tank and stress you and your fish by moving them. If you set up the main tank properly, you'll have a high fry survival rate when they arrive.

Livebearers are most comfortable with a heavily planted surface. I float Hornwort and Anacharis (Egeria densa). These are available at the chain pet stores for next to nothing and grow well close to the tank lights. This growth provides hiding places for the females and the fry.

I keep Platys, Swordtails and Guppies and have fry in the tanks all the time. I always feed all the fish a little more and a little more often. Adult fish that are plump and well fed, show little or no interest in the fry. So, I have a high fry survival rate. Probably too many, but I keep these fish in large tanks and give them plenty of clean water.

You can do the same and not have to set up separate small tanks and risk injuring your fish by trying to catch them.

B

Thanks Bradbury, I know that it's stressful but it freaks me out raising fry in a tank with lots of hungry munchers and aggressive eaters. The big tank can probably have a few survive, but I'm trying to raise enough fry to trade for these gorgeous angels at a LFS. Pearlscale platinums... Beautiful! Anyways, my guppies seem to be refusing to have fry anywhere so I'm not quite concerned lol.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I don't move my girls at all because of stress. I just make sure there is a lot of hiding spots for the fry and let nature take its course. A few fry from each batch usually make it. Lots of floating plants like hornwort, anacharis, and naja (guppy grass) help. Also making sure the adults are well fed they tend to not go after the fry as much

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, normally that is the path id take and I do feed them well but the LFS is saying 30 guppies=2 angels and that's what I want so I'm raising them for that purpose instead of just letting nature take it's course.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Hmm maybe temporarily get a divider to section guppies from everyone else? I can only just say lots and lots of plants but at that point how much are you spending, you know? Lol if it is a lot cheaper go to like petsmart and buy a bunch of guppies when they are 1$ and trade those ;)

Maybe just let them stay and move the fry over as you see them?

Back
Top Bottom