Moving and Shrimp Babies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purrbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I just got done setting up the tanks at our new home. Looks like the Fauna and Flora all made it through with flying colors despit not being able to net most of the Pygmy Cories or any of the Ghost Shrimp.

The thing is, I think that some baby Ghost Shrimp may have appeared in transit. There are what appear to be transluscent Y's scooting along the glass walls of the tank maybe a 1-2mm is all. So am I guessing correctly that I might have baby shrimp?

It's possible; there are a bunch of different species of "ghost" shrimp, though most require brackish or salt water to spawn successfully. The larvae of most "ghost" shrimp won't survive in fresh water. Do they look like miniature adults, or something completely different?

They're really not big enough for me to tell at this point. Perhaps if I had a magnifying glass, but even if I did I doubt I could figure out which box it was in. They really just look like little Y's, which the base would be the body of the shrimp and the top would be the tail. Guess I'll have to wait awhile and find out if/as the get bigger.

I've had Ghost Shrimp breed in one of my tanks before, so I know at least on of the varieties in my neck of the woods can be raised solely in freshwater. That time, however, I never saw the baby shrimp until they were at least half the size of the parents. Of course there were other fish in the tank so they had to hide to survive. This tank is shrimp only, so hiding isn't quite as big an issue.

Back
Top Bottom