Multiple Angelfish Pairs Spawning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FwA

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 3 pairs of angelfish all spawning at different times. I'm trying to hand raise the eggs myself. Can I raise different eggs in the same 10g tank? In jars maybe?

I have 3 pairs of angelfish all spawning at different times. I'm trying to hand raise the eggs myself. Can I raise different eggs in the same 10g tank? In jars maybe?

Can you raise different spawns in the same tank... yes. Should you raise different spawns in the same tank... depends on your goals. If you are trying to get specific fish or colors, you'll need to know who the parents were and who the siblings were. If you don't care, remember that multiple spawns means a lot of babies growing up in one tank. Moving them too soon to a grow out tank can kill the fry. Overcrowding the fry will lead to stunted growth and poor grow rates. If you are going to hatch out in a jar, I suggest a 1 gal jar, nothing smaller. Once free swimming, they will need to be in a filtered tank (I suggest a sponge filter only until the fry are large enough for stronger filters.)

FYI: I used to breed 50 pairs of angels. Every spawn went into it's own 10 gal. tank from the start.

Hope this helps...(y)

angel fry

go too angels plus they have a fry jar kit that they use it is very unique they use this kit too raise their fry youll see it on site they even tell you how to set it up

That's the jar I replicated myself actually. I saw their video on YouTube and had all the parts lying around. I have 3 jars made total and a 10g tank to put them in. Was thinking of having all 3 jars in the 10g to regulate temp easier but then after they start free swimming and need more room, move them from the jar to their own 10g. Then fully grow out in a 55g. Would this work?
Have I missed anything or could I do anything different? The meth blue worries me too, as some eggs will be older than others and don't wanna damage them. I could sit the jars in the tank and have the tank water level only reach 3/4 up the jar (purely for heating purposes). That way I can individually dose each jar with meth blue. Sorry to ramble, hope someone can help :)

Help???

That's the jar I replicated myself actually. I saw their video on YouTube and had all the parts lying around. I have 3 jars made total and a 10g tank to put them in. Was thinking of having all 3 jars in the 10g to regulate temp easier but then after they start free swimming and need more room, move them from the jar to their own 10g. Then fully grow out in a 55g. Would this work?
Have I missed anything or could I do anything different? The meth blue worries me too, as some eggs will be older than others and don't wanna damage them. I could sit the jars in the tank and have the tank water level only reach 3/4 up the jar (purely for heating purposes). That way I can individually dose each jar with meth blue. Sorry to ramble, hope someone can help :)

My first question has to be.... Why are you making this more complicated than it needs to be?
If you are going to raise fry together, they need to be within a day or 2 (at the most) of each other in age. Otherwise, you will be having problems down the road with the larger fish eating the smaller ones.
Second, if you have a tank already to put the jars in, why not just use it to hatch out the eggs? It solves a larger issue later on.
What I've done is to take 50% of the water the eggs were layed in and move it to a seperate 10 gal tank with a sponge filter running at a slower speed. I'd then take the spawning slate and lay it at an angle (or on it's side if it didn't fit upright) with an airstone providing gentle water movement across the eggs. Add the M. Blue.
I'd then refill the breeding tank over the course of 2 to 3 days.
Once the fry hatched in that 5 gals of water and began free swimming, I'd start feeding live brine and adding small amounts of water to help keep the pollutents diluted. In approx a week, I'd have filled the fry tank to the top and turned the sponge filter to a higher speed. Frequent smaller water changes from this point on will dilute the M. Blue and get the fish used to minor changes in the water chemistry without freaking them out. :D
Once the fry had "sprouted wings" ( approx. 3 to 4 weeks) I'd move them into a larger grow out tank.
I've used this method to raise hundreds of thousands baby angelfish. It's the least complicated and most effective method I've found. It's less stress on the fry as well.

As mentioned before, I 've bred numerous pairs of angels at the same time and used a 3- 10 gal tank set up per pair. 1tank had the breeders. The second tank held the first spawn, the 3rd tank held the next spawn. (Each pair spawned approx every 10-14 days.) By the time the next spawn happened, the fish in the second tank were ready to be moved into the grow out tank. And the process continued in "round robin" style like clockwork.

If you'd like more personalized help, feel free to PM me. (y)

:fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:

Fantastic help Andy. Thankyou. And expect a few PMs. Lol!
I hatched my last lot of eggs in a 3g tank with an airstone running on the eggs and a small sponge filter. I had a lot, and I mean a lot of white eggs to deal with/remove while I waited. The only meth blue i can buy locally is a product called Bactonex made by Aquasonic. I called them and was told its apprx 37% meth blue (weird approx number). I added 5ml first day and 2.5ml after 2nd days wc. Is this enough as my water wasnt very blue and the fungus spread to good eggs still? I ended up with about 40 eggs making it to day 7 successfully. I moved them all to a 10g with water from the parent tank and within a few hours they all died and went white except 4. Next day all were dead on bottom of tank. So my concern was I moved them too quickly and I though the tank may have been too big. That's why I was gonna try use jars.

Back
Top Bottom