Mutatation in dwarf platy fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daydreamer4186

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
About 3 weeks ago my dwarf platy (bright orange) had 8 fry. When they were born, all were a light orange just like their parents except for one which was a white-ish/clear color similar to a guppy fry. I know for a fact that she only mated with the male dwarf platy and he is also orange. I waited to see how the fry would develop. All are doing well, growing fast, and very healthy. All are a bright orange still except the one. That one has the normal colored eyes but is white. I've also noticed that now the fin on its back is orange but nothing else is. Why do you think this is? Could it be some kind of mutation or just a random color variation?

It's normal for there to be color variations.

We had a dwarf platy pair that were orange graduating to yellow, coral dwarfs I think they called them. Anyways, no other platys around and we had babies that were all dark orange or yellow or white etc. There was also a size difference between the original pair and the offspring once the offspring grew. They were more the size of regular platys.

Wow, a useless fact I remember that might have some use!

I was watching a program about cloning cats and dogs. Even the clones of a cat or dog would come up with different coloration and markings. And that was using the same DNA template, not shared DNA from both parents. I imagine that it would apply to fish as well as furry four leggers.

I'm waiting to see some of the variations I get from my plateys.... my last (first batch) of fry I didn't know about until after they were born and they mostly got sucked up in the water change and by the filter. :(

they are just selective breed so its not uncommon for them to throw out some random colors.

Back
Top Bottom