My 10G Breeder Tank C - New pics 10/14/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, Breeder tank C had wigglers, but now the majority are becoming free-swimming. So as soon as I get the diatoms cleaned up more and they get a little bigger, will start posting pics. Since it's not bare-bottom, it's impossible to get pics of these guys like I did the last thread I did.

Update:

Might have pics soon. Today was quite interesting. Got up and what do I see? Probably a couple hundred free-swimming, lol. Didn't think I pulled that many eggs out of the tank, lol. It's like little mosquitos buzzing around the bottom of the tank, lol. It is so fun to watch. I'm now feeding egg yolk, once again, lol. ;)

Well, guess what folks? They are at it again. Looks like I have 300-400 eggs again and she's still laying eggs. lol. And it has been only about a week. lol. Here's some pics....

Pics are from 10G Planted Breeder Tank. Will get pics of Breeder Tank C soon.

breederplt12.jpg

breederplt13.jpg

breederplt14.jpg

breederplt15.jpg

breederplt16.jpg

breederplt17.jpg

breederplt18.jpg

breederplt19.jpg

breederplt20.jpg

Well, things are not going so good. I only can find 3, maybe 4 free-swimmers. Also, all the last batch of eggs are completely white. So all is not good here. Will have to wait til the next spawn to see what I can get. So for now, not much for fry this go around.

Well, my pair in the planted tank layed eggs again. So I moved them. Now check this out. Instead of just putting the eggs down in the Eco, I rigged up this breeder setup. I have some Eco in the far side to tip the container down a little and it get's excellent water flow. Also makes it real easy to add meds for anti-fungal, like HP and/or Pimafix and Melafix. and I have the light set the way it is so the Wisteria and other plant get's decent lighting, and the crypts under the container get some light as well, which they don't need the higher lighting. They will do well where they are. Ince I get wigglers, then free-swimmers, I'll move the free-swimmers to the tank below. Also makes it easy to remove bad eggs too. And finally, the eggs and wigglers will only get ambient lighting, which I had read on another site that the eggs shouldn't be placed under direct lighting. Will see if it helps this time.

I decided to move the eggs because they were half gone when I got up today. And no, it wasn't the parents, lol. They were doing their job. But the 3 large MTS I put in there were scarfing down the eggs, lol. They were on the other end of the tank yesterday when I dropped them in and somehow all 3 found the egg pile, lol. So all's going pretty well so far.

breederc1.jpg

breederc2.jpg

breederc3.jpg

LoneWolfBlue, on average how many fish will actually survive to be adults? I'm just interested, cos I love seeing your reports one each breeder tank. If your fish lay 400 eggs at a time, then the success rate doesn't seem to high!

Shubunkin01

Actually, haven't had much success as of late. It goes in spurts I think. The last batch I only had about 5 hatch, the rest of the eggs turned white, which means they either went bad, or the male hasn't got the fertalizing down yet, lol. They are still a young couple. This is their 4th spawning now. And I left the eggs in for 1 day before removing, as the snails found the egg bed. The male used to attack me when removing them, but now he's used to it and know's I'm not threatening them, so he just comes up to me and rubs up against my hand, as well as the female. Just like they do when I'm re-arranging some plants. And occasionally he'll attack my hand, but not often. It's interesting when they come up to you and rub your hand like as if they were flashing, but with no threatening coloration like they are PO'd, but a welcoming rub. They are my fav pair. They are just too cool.

As for the 5 that hatched, I've seen 2 swimming around still, possibly 3. Haven't kept a real close eye on them, but I know they are still there, saw them yesterday. :)

Another thing that's making it tough is they lay the eggs in the gravel, which makes retrieval a pain in the rear. Even though I have a nice piece of flat granite in there, they chose the gravel. And when I place the granite where they lay the eggs, the next time they go somewhere else, lol.

I moved my other bunch over at 8 weeks. Also, for GBR's, at 8 weeks you can usually sex them as well. Sometimes takes a little longer. They grow pretty fast.

Yup, German Blue Ram. They are tough to keep, but worth it if you have the patience and dedication.

Well, in one of my other breeder tanks, I removed the odd-ball female and placed her back to the 29G. I now have 3 complete pairs. Hopefully the other 2 will start spawning soon.

I think you're doing a great job LBW. I'm really impressed with your patience, desire and dedication to succeeding.

GBRs are a finicky species. With many species like this, spawning is easier than raising fry. As the fry are still developing they are adversely affected by the slightest environmental shifts. This means that the water must be perfect.

IME species that prefer very soft water need very soft water to achieve both hatching and fry development. I suggest you invest in a TDS meter. Your goal is to get the TDS between 90 and 130ppm. This should greatly help the fry to survive.

I wonder if they have eggs in the rock cave, lol. They keep going in and out, one at a time, lol. Wasn't sure if they would spawn in the cave, lol.

Well, here's the single survivor of the previous batch. And have some wigglers from the last batch of eggs. Here's a cool pic of the single survivor. He or She is about 1/8 inch.

breederc7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom