My 1st Guppy Batch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All im saying is what ive been reading up on an the things my professor has told me sooooo.... Yeah. The knowledge i receive is the knowledge i pass. And yes they do and can start showing their godopodium at around one month. You may not be able to see with the naked eye BUT with a magnifying glass you sure as hell can. I have tested this in my marine biology class. The only things i say up here is through exstensive research and from school. So if testing theories proving positive are wrong then i dont know what CAN be right. It matters not how long one has been doing something what matters is the knowledge one has from actually looking into something. I never said they mature that early just being able to tell the gender b/t 1mo and 2. And apart from how early they start to show more of themselves, maturiity can take up to 12 weeks or three months. Thats why i said AS EARLY AS. Another thing, the gestation period of a pregnant female is judt under a month per batch of fry. On average, for a healthy female, 65 fry to 80. Its rare but 100+ does happen. So your females having only up to 12, again, is what made me tell you to stop breeding her because its due to excessive invreeding before you got her. Idc if you two dont believe me but when my gups come out with less problems and more beautiful fry and MORE fry, you guys will be saying, oh wait he was right. So instead of constantly putting down a noob to breeding how about think, hmmm maybe he could have a point. Let me actually go look into this. Because i will tell you if a professor didnt know his stuff.... HE WOULDNT BE A PROFESSOR. Thank you that is all. And i still recommend removing the fry from the parents and seperating the male and the female.

GuppieStudent said:
istill recommend removing the fry from the parents and seperating the male and the female.

I removed the fry right after they were born and they're in their own separate container.

wow....meaning you need to chill out :huh:

professors can be wrong, and nobody insulted you or said anything to you!! you cant etch in stone what you found out with "extensive research". sometimes you just cant learn something in a classroom, and I definitely didnt learn fishkeeping from a professor or a book. :blink: I understand you are trying to learn your craft, but please dont come here and call all of us dummies, we are all here to help.

Yes, separating the fry from the adults is a good idea because they look like food, but i'm not getting a magnifying glass looking for male parts just so I can separate them. The whole idea is to breed, why separate? Low birth count can mean it is a young female. Inbreeding happens and honestly I dont know if that has anything to do with how many fry are born, this is the first time I've heard this (define "excessive inbreeding"). FWIW I dont remove any of my guppies unless i'm selling them to the LFS and I've never had a problem with "inbreeding" or birth counts. each brood they have, the more fry they drop.

I didnt learn this from a class, I saw this with my own eyes. I didnt just start doing this last week, so dont let my post count fool you

The purpose of this thread is for Ocminpin to discuss breeding her guppies. Bickering and off topic posts have been removed. Any more bickering or rudeness will result in thread closure.

Congrats on being a guppy-mom. For what it's worth, I have had the same experience at pcdebb for the sexing. Sometimes I could tell a bit earlier, but usually that was just a guess based on color and not a visible gonopodium. For me, I was breeding for colorful females so my little females tended to get color first. But, they still threw me for a loop sometimes. It was definitely a couple months before I ever saw a gonopodium though. I did not use a magnifier of any sort though, I am sure that would help see one earlier, but I don't happen to have a decent one at the moment.

absolutangel04 said:
Congrats on being a guppy-mom. For what it's worth, I have had the same experience at pcdebb for the sexing. Sometimes I could tell a bit earlier, but usually that was just a guess based on color and not a visible gonopodium. For me, I was breeding for colorful females so my little females tended to get color first. But, they still threw me for a loop sometimes. It was definitely a couple months before I ever saw a gonopodium though. I did not use a magnifier of any sort though, I am sure that would help see one earlier, but I don't happen to have a decent one at the moment.

Soooo... Catch you all up at Thanksgiving? Haha... :) how exciting ... I love color!

I would love to see my males develop the most vibrant colors, it's awesome.

And it looks like one of my females is giving me more, I see some more teeny weeny ones! lol

Congrats on your fry.

I've got some full blacks that are VERY black- even the females are fully black. They're pretty much impossible for me to distinguish before the gonopodium is visible to the naked eye.

severum mama said:
Congrats on your fry.

I've got some full blacks that are VERY black- even the females are fully black. They're pretty much impossible for me to distinguish before the gonopodium is visible to the naked eye.
Thank you :)
Black? Wow how neat! What tail shape?

Wow all black? I bet that is cool to see :)

I can only guess how many I got in the tank now. And I think this is one of my bigger females too!

How old are my new guppies

Attachments

• image-1268321317.jpg
    image-1268321317.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 120
Thank you those aren't mine but i wish had like, 26 rather that 9

Attachments

• image-2877706817.jpg
    image-2877706817.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 121
My guppy babies are starting to get black speckles on their tails... They're 2 wks 4 days & 3 wks 2 days old...
Still tiny.. Haven't noticeably grown much...

My guppies are around 3-4 weeks but show no colour or growth from when they were born

I must say these guppies aren't growing any faster than my mollies do... They're still pretty small and newborn size at 4 wks 4 days old... Just a lot more coordinated!

They all turned into blue cobras i managed to get $23 each...

Back
Top Bottom