Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
My 1st Guppy Batch

I got my second batch of guppy fry tonight 12 saved joining 2 I saved the other day... 14 babies total... I'm excited to watch them grow and see what colors come out!
My first time raising a batch of guppies. I only have experience with Platies and Mollies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2556369735.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	113019
__________________

__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
shuvit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: nottinghamshire england
Posts: 119
Naaaawwwww cute
__________________

__________________
shuvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
emerald76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 3,332
Adorable! I love watching mine grow and change color, I have about 20. I lost 7 to deformities and the fact that the breeder tank moved around so the filter no longer pulled gunk out
__________________
It's not a dumb question if you ask it.
Too many tanks? GASP! How could that be?
emerald76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
GuppieStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 47
Guppies.com. For you i highly reccomend it. In a couple of weeks i want you to seperate the males and the females.

Again through excessive inbreeding results can be: high percentage of deformaties, low fertility, spinal bends, and hernias. Be careful with them otherwise you will lose more and more. So i say seperate and if you want to breed them(the fry) then go to a different pet store and buy a male of the same app. age. Please these little guys can be so beautiful and amazing to look at with so many possibilities(for breeding for many results). I just want to see them live and be healthy. Your female should have had far more than that for a fry count. Thats why i am pushing so hard on you the importance and dangers of exstensive inbreeding. Im not being mean... I am only trying to help. Thank you for reading. I joined here myself for help. I just asked for help last night myself but im still gonna help with what I do know. Have a nice day snd let me know something. What kind of culture do you have for the fry.
__________________
GuppieStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
GuppieStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 47
I'm not really concerned about separating sexes. I've never done it with my Molly or Platy Fry. I sell them on Craigslist or to my LFS. They are generally put in with males at that point anyway.

This was ocminpin response to me yesterday. I understand what your doing i just want you to understand that if you breed these fry or this female with the fry, you will most likely have more problems than happiness. Again im just trying to help
__________________
GuppieStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppieStudent
Guppies.com. For you i highly reccomend it. In a couple of weeks i want you to seperate the males and the females.

Again through excessive inbreeding results can be: high percentage of deformaties, low fertility, spinal bends, and hernias. Be careful with them otherwise you will lose more and more. So i say seperate and if you want to breed them(the fry) then go to a different pet store and buy a male of the same app. age. Please these little guys can be so beautiful and amazing to look at with so many possibilities(for breeding for many results). I just want to see them live and be healthy. Your female should have had far more than that for a fry count. Thats why i am pushing so hard on you the importance and dangers of exstensive inbreeding. Im not being mean... I am only trying to help. Thank you for reading. I joined here myself for help. I just asked for help last night myself but im still gonna help with what I do know. Have a nice day snd let me know something. What kind of culture do you have for the fry.
I'm sure she did have much more than that.. She was stuffed.. But she was in my 30 gal with mollies and Platies and another guppy. I was gone a few hours and I'm sure quite a few were eaten. She was skinny when I got back. When I catch my mollies birthing and get entire batch they usually have 40-60 fry.
__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppieStudent
I'm not really concerned about separating sexes. I've never done it with my Molly or Platy Fry. I sell them on Craigslist or to my LFS. They are generally put in with males at that point anyway.

This was ocminpin response to me yesterday. I understand what your doing i just want you to understand that if you breed these fry or this female with the fry, you will most likely have more problems than happiness. Again im just trying to help
Thank you for all the help an suggestions. I will definitely go to the website you recommended.
I won't be breeding any of the fry or getting a male guppy. I wanted to see the difference between guppies and Platies and mollies. I've read that you all love the colors guppies have so I thought it would be fun to raise a few batches (knowing a female will store), went and picked out the most pregnant female in the tank.
__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
GuppieStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 47
Well just to prevent the chances of further inbreeding seperate the males in one tank and the females in another but not with the mom. As well please remember that the small batches of fry are not your fault. If any develope any of the above listed risks and faults just remember it is from the excessive inbreeding that took place WAY before you got her okay.
__________________
GuppieStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
You said I will be able to sex them at 3 wks... Do the males have a gonopodium at that age or is it by the color of them?
__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
GuppieStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 47
After a month some are ready to breed so think about separating males and females after the fourth week. It can start showing at about 2-3 weeks of age but that small you have to look close. At that age as well is the only way to tell. The females are also generally less attractive than the males(colors and finnage) so thats something else to look for. If you need physical references look at my pics and google for pics of male and female gups. I do hope this helps you. Any other questions you have i will be more than happy to try and answer. As i said before im doing extensive research on gups for school so from some questions you may even allow me to discover some things for myself as well. Im still looking up on what may have happened to the orange tail. See i remembered. I told you, you have my word. Ttyl
__________________
GuppieStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:10 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
pcdebb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 682
i've never had my guppies gender at a month, that's just way to early. you barely have any color in most of them at that time. i've got about 50 in my tank right now from the last drop (another batch due anytime now), i've probably had hundreds by now.
__________________
My name is Deb and I have MTS
pcdebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:15 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
pcdebb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocminpin View Post
You said I will be able to sex them at 3 wks... Do the males have a gonopodium at that age or is it by the color of them?
Neither. females can have good color to them, altho it is more common for the males to be more colorful. the gonopodium wont be visible at 3 weeks. they are still too young.
__________________
My name is Deb and I have MTS
pcdebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:19 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdebb
i've never had my guppies gender at a month, that's just way to early. you barely have any color in most of them at that time. i've got about 50 in my tank right now from the last drop (another batch due anytime now), i've probably had hundreds by now.
I can't tell the gender of my Platies until 5-6 mths ... They grow SLOW!! and my Mollies are 4 mths.

Having never raised guppies it seemed a bit soon... And I will say that I can't tell the difference between my 8 day old and 3 day old guppy fry at all. They're all the exact same size.
__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:38 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
pcdebb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 682
it will be 2-3 months before you can tell gender in the guppies.

i've raised more than my fair share of guppies lol i've got another female that's ready to pop
__________________
My name is Deb and I have MTS
pcdebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:44 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
pcdebb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocminpin View Post
And I will say that I can't tell the difference between my 8 day old and 3 day old guppy fry at all. They're all the exact same size.
they're all livebearers so there isnt going to be much difference in the breeding habits and the way they are raised. I think that the guppies are a little bit more prolific in breeding tho
__________________
My name is Deb and I have MTS
pcdebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:44 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdebb
it will be 2-3 months before you can tell gender in the guppies.

i've raised more than my fair share of guppies lol i've got another female that's ready to pop
Thank you I can't wait to see what colors come out...
__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:45 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdebb
they're all livebearers so there isnt going to be much difference in the breeding habits and the way they are raised. I think that the guppies are a little bit more prolific in breeding tho
Check out my current thread "Cruella birthing now" ... Talk about prolific!
__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:16 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
pcdebb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 682
As far as colors you can start to see colors as early as about 3 weeks. A few of mine are showing a little bit of color which it makes it easier for me to spot them.

Breeding can be a lot of fun
__________________
My name is Deb and I have MTS
pcdebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
pcdebb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 682
A few years ago I bought home a Mickey mouse platy because I thought he was cute. Didn't really realize she was preggers, but about a week later she dropped about 60 fry!! The birthing was traumatic tho and she died
__________________
My name is Deb and I have MTS
pcdebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:27 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdebb
A few years ago I bought home a Mickey mouse platy because I thought he was cute. Didn't really realize she was preggers, but about a week later she dropped about 60 fry!! The birthing was traumatic tho and she died
I just posted on my Mickey mouse
__________________

__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
guppy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×