My Angels have paired off and laid eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

changwin11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my tank setup and running for about 5 months now. I had 2 koi Angels, 2 marble Angels, 2 neon tetras, 4 cherry barbs, 2 platy, 1 Cory and 1 yoyo loach. I noticed two days ago that my bigger marble angel was running two of the other Angels off from one side of the tank. The big one was allowing only one of the koi Angels in the same area. Then they began cleaning up one of my plant leaves! I knew this was a sign. Sure enough, I came back a few hours later to eggs. That was almost two days ago. I rehomed my two unpaired Angels. I couldn't stand watching them being beat up by the pair. This morning I woke up and some of the eggs had turned white, but the parents have cleaned those up now. I'm interested to see how far they get at attempting to raise these babies on their own. I know many parents have to spawn many times before being successful. I will keep you guys updated on their progress ? I'm going to post some pics below. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432132089.139258.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432132119.871143.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432132135.745566.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Congrats. :) Just a couple of quick suggestions: If you intend on trying to raise the fry, you really should remove all the other fish as well as they will most likely eat either the eggs or the wigglers.
There is an old thread in the breeding forum here titled "Wigglers at last!!!" which you may want to read. It was an ongoing discussion about angels by both hobbyist and professional breeders. Pretty much everything you need to know about breeding and raising Angelfish was discussed on that thread.

Hope this helps (y)

I'm going to just keep letting them attempt on their own within the community tank for now. I'm planning on purchasing a separate tank next month to house the fry separately or move my other fish into. At least, this way they are getting to practice their parenting skills for now. They are both still tending the eggs. I'm impressed they have done this well as first time parents. I'm leaving the lights out and not bothering them much. I'm doing my best to not stress them out. Thanks guys!

So awesome!! Nice job!! Keep us updated!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We have wigglers! I went to check it out earlier and noticed that a bunch of eggs were missing, then noticed they had moved the ones that have started wiggle to a new leaf! I'm so proud of these two for their first time! I'm aware they could still very well eat them or the other fish in the tank may. But they are doing great considering it's their first time spawning!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432170830.344990.jpg
The top leaf is where the were. Now they are on the bottom. Mom and dad are not straying far and have this side of the tank cleared out of other fish.

Came home today and the wigglers are still there. Their tails are noticeably longer. I did catch dad snacking on one this morning. So, we will see how this turns out!

Nice! It only takes a few days to become wigglers?

Also, why only 2 neons?

By the end of the second day your fertile eggs should start turning to wigglers. My parents moved theirs when they did. I only have 2 neons because they were in my 10 gal guppy tank to start with and I was trying not to overload the smaller tank. I'm planning on buying more to keep them company whenever I can get rid of my cherry barbs.

Today, I came home and the fry were thriving. The tails were wiggling and they hadn't started to take some shape with visible eyes. Then disaster struck. During feeding time, the yoyo loach wondered up onto the leaf that was housing the fry and sent them flying! Dad panicked and instantly started eating them! Then, mom started attacking him. She became so worked up that she finished off the rest of the fry :( it was a little traumatic for the kids to see and was pretty heartbreaking for myself. I never intended on breeding angelfish, but I was hoping the babies would make it. Oh well, until next time.

Hey. I believe you made it a lot farther then most first timers. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Back
Top Bottom