My Angels spawned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Fisher

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked these fish up back in march I believe. Went into the living room a few minutes ago and found eggs

zEUkqaS.jpg

The parents

TKoEyMJ.jpg

as soon as my wife gets home I'll be going to get some Mblue and mving them to a 5.5 to hatch.

Super exited as I raised the parents from pea size

Thanks, Just got the eggs moved and an airstone set up. I used a cycled tank I had some fry in. No store had what I wanted as far a antifungals go so I got the closest I could find. Next spawn I'm going to let the parents have a try with.

8TSAEym.jpg

I spilled a little water when i topped it off from their parents tank.

Hopefully in a few days we will have something.

Good luck! And hopefully they're good parents. I had angels that were and some that weren't... It's very individual how they'll behave as being parents.

Good news, I've got wigglers! :dance: Big thank you to Andy Sager, Bob McCoy and all the "wigglers at last" alumni for the help!

I may try to take another video of them later today

Well that's half the battle. ;) At least now you know for sure that you have a fertile pair. (y) Hopefully, my hatchery will be up and running by the time they are big enough to ship so I can get some. :D

Well that's half the battle. ;) At least now you know for sure that you have a fertile pair. (y) Hopefully, my hatchery will be up and running by the time they are big enough to ship so I can get some. :D

From the looks of it he did a good job. I have to wonder if they may have spawned before and maybe ate the eggs as they seem to have done a great job this time.

Andy, should I leave the air stone on? Also should I keep dosing the antifungal?

From the looks of it he did a good job. I have to wonder if they may have spawned before and maybe ate the eggs as they seem to have done a great job this time.

Andy, should I leave the air stone on? Also should I keep dosing the antifungal?

I would keep the airstone blowing until they get ready to start free swimming. You shouldn;t need to use any antifungal at this point. The airstone should keep them clean enough to not need it.

As for having spawned before, this may not be the case. These fish may have been old enough to have packed a powerful punch. :brows: With these new fish I have now, I had a first time spawn have an almost 90% hatch and I know for sure it was their first and I pulled the eggs about 30 minutes after they were done spawning. These went into the rain water so I attributed the success to that but.......... you never know. ;) (y)

Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would keep the airstone blowing until they get ready to start free swimming. You shouldn;t need to use any antifungal at this point. The airstone should keep them clean enough to not need it.

As for having spawned before, this may not be the case. These fish may have been old enough to have packed a powerful punch. :brows: With these new fish I have now, I had a first time spawn have an almost 90% hatch and I know for sure it was their first and I pulled the eggs about 30 minutes after they were done spawning. These went into the rain water so I attributed the success to that but.......... you never know. ;) (y)

Thanks! You're likely right there, as we discussed before it really is a whole new world so to speak with these current fish as compared to days gone by it seems.

I went ahead and put together a device to hatch brine shrimp. I know I have a few days before I need it but felt I should get my ducks in a row. Two soda bottles, a check valve and a flow regulator is a great way to be thrifty, I couldn't see paying 15-20.00 for something from the store.

7bGynsh.jpg

I feed Golden pearls to my livebearer fry but what to do this the "proper" way for the angels

Sad news, my air stone (which was new) clogged up and fungus hit. I'd say it got about a third of them. I was able to find some methylene blue today so I dosed the tank and have my fingers crossed. The ones left lok like they will be free swimmers tomorrow or friday.

Well that sucks. :( Here's a solution for the future, instead of an airstone, once the eggs hatch, remove the airstone and just have an open end airline. You'll need to reduce the airflow but you are just using this for water movement so there is no real need for multiple bubbles. I use very few airstones anymore, not even in my "makeshift" brine shrimp hatcheries.

Hope this helps (y)

Well that sucks. :( Here's a solution for the future, instead of an airstone, once the eggs hatch, remove the airstone and just have an open end airline. You'll need to reduce the airflow but you are just using this for water movement so there is no real need for multiple bubbles. I use very few airstones anymore, not even in my "makeshift" brine shrimp hatcheries.

Hope this helps (y)

I'll be doing that from here on out. :thanks:

Good news is looks like the fungus stopped. :whistle:

Other good thing I found do to this is the fish store across town is much cheaper than the one near my home.

We have free swimmers! About 20 or so right now and more coming of the slate. I've got two brine shrimp hatcheries going and everything looks good. All the reading of the wigglers thread has paid off in spades.

I'd like to note that I did a test run with San Francisco brand hatch mix and had a terrible hatch rate. They weren't set to expire for like 4 more years. I got some great salt lake eggs and things went great. Here's the "recipe " for anyone who may stumble upon this

1000ml water
1 Tablespoon kosher salt
1 pinch of baking soda
1/2 - 1 teaspoon of eggs

Turned out perfect.

Some more of these guys get free swimming I'm going to do a small water change and throw in a cycled sponge filter.

Back
Top Bottom