My apistos made babies!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yay, noticed my apisto cac female ascting very strange, upon further investigation.. Tons if tiny fry!! What do I do??

image-1422297739.jpg

Yeah that's so cool, my lamprologus ornatippinis have just bred as well. I thought I was seeing things at first but I did a double take and now I can't count all of them. LOL

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What else is in the tank? Make sure you keep everything well fed. The parents will make sure the fry are fed. Try not to disturb them too much. I would suggest removing everyone else from the tank, but that can cause the parents to freak out.

What else is in the tank? Make sure you keep everything well fed. The parents will make sure the fry are fed. Try not to disturb them too much. I would suggest removing everyone else from the tank, but that can cause the parents to freak out.
there is 6 hexazona barbs, 8 rn tetras, dun dun dunnnn 2 Pleco's... I threw in some veggie wafers on opposite end of tank, I really can't remove any of the other fish, they have a cave she dug into which is tight, she seems to be trying to tail fan the fry into the hole.. It's sad but I really have to let them do their thing, If fry survive when could I move them into another tank? Or breeder box?

If you have another tank, then yeah, I'd get it ready now. Give the fry a few more days, make sure the other tank has the same parameters and slowly acclimate them over.

If you have another tank, then yeah, I'd get it ready now. Give the fry a few more days, make sure the other tank has the same parameters and slowly acclimate them over.
no problemo! Filters been running for months! I'll fill it with their tank water, as far as feeding? I have frozen daphnia(tiny bugs) ok??can it be bare bottom with fake plants??

no problemo! Filters been running for months! I'll fill it with their tank water, as far as feeding? I have frozen daphnia(tiny bugs) ok??can it be bare bottom with fake plants??

Frozen daphnia, frozen baby brine shrimp, Hikari first bites. I'd start with the Hikari then move up to the others.

Bare bottom and fake plants will be fine, that would make it easy to keep clean. For my GBR fry I do daily water changes, so I set out buckets of water over night with power heads and mini heaters in them so the pH can drop to 7.0. That way the pH swing doesn't shock them.

They're apisto cacatouides. "Double orange"! Thanks dragon, they were all out this morning bopping around, way cool, they survived a night with the Pleco's so I'm hoping they'll be ok, the barbs try to come in for a looksy but man they're some fierce parents, the male stays flared up and keeps all the other fish corralled on the other side of the tank. I will be setting up the fry tank when I get home today, going to be busy busy.. Have to move Rammy back to display, I'd just use that tank but I've qt'd 4 batches if new fish and I'd hate to see the fry catch some nasties. I'll just use the brandy new 5.5 I have under the table. I like the heater buckets idea, I will def do that, will an air stone do the sane job as a power head?

I set up the fry tank,5.5 gal nothing special, I transferred about 30 while leaving 15-20 in the display(gf made me leave some claiming the mommy would get ppd) so here we go.. Fry raising time! Any advise would be greatly appreciated although dragon has already given me the best crash coarse ever!

image-3167239352.jpg

image-1868963282.jpg

That's a current shot of my "dining room", not much dining going on in there these days ;)

Back
Top Bottom