my attempt at breeding kribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
at any rate here are some more pics till we have a definitive answer
img_2108114_0_1cb39c88fd815e3b380f14aeaa51c6d6.jpg

male hiding
img_2108114_1_b2d610aa1bbd1cb6e6e2bdd2055fb3d0.jpg

there home
img_2108114_2_22b195cfc65e0cefc90a0491f7f65131.jpg

bubble filter for the fry

well after watchin how much krib wriglers wrigle i am of the opinion they are under the pvc pipe, as i said on an early post the eggs where laid on a vertical surface so there wrigling would bring em down to the sand. plus the parents behaviour seems like they are still guarding so we might not be done yet:):)

well after watchin how much krib wriglers wrigle i am of the opinion they are under the pvc pipe, as i said on an early post the eggs where laid on a vertical surface so there wrigling would bring em down to the sand. plus the parents behaviour seems like they are still guarding so we might not be done yet:):)

This behavior sure seems like you shouldn't give up the ship just yet. :brows: Since both parents are protecting something and the pair are not turning on each other, it sounds like they have the fry hidden. Prepare for having the fry in regards to food. Worst case scenario, you "wasted" some fry food ;) Can't wait for the rest of the story (y)

Yeah it sure seems like they're up to something. I can't Wait to see what happens either! I would think they'd have given up on that behavior by now if there's nothing really there.

so far there is no sign of the parents fighting at all and im amazed at how dilligent the father is day and night he guards the whole tank (and starts fights with the algea scraper)

You might want to try putting more in the way of hiding places/caves in that tank. It's pretty open for kribs. When I had my breeding pair, every night, the mom would take all the free swimming fry to a different cave to hunker down for the night. She especially seemed fond of the cichlid stones where she could guard the only opening.

thats a good idea thanks, i was thinking that i should add a few coconut caves or something plus id like to plant it heavy.
still no sign of the fry the suspence is killing me

Yessss wooo I'm so happy for you! Glad you didn't lose hope! Can't wait to see pics!

well 5 min ago the mum brought out about 70 fry :) :) ill try to get some pictures tonight

Well that's some good news to read. :D You see, it IS true, "Good things come to those who wait." (y) It's all about understanding your fish and their habits. They acted like they had a spawn to protect, and they did. :)

For what it's worth, this is why I used 1/2 or 3/4 clay flower pots as spawning sites. I would set these up in such a way that I could see into them without disturbing the parents and they felt secure in using these sites. No guess work. ;)

Don't forget to get the fry food going. :brows:

Can't wait for the pics (y)

img_2114524_0_8e1fa38343f7469229f3087d4bbeef3d.jpg

well this is the best pic i could get due to them hiding a bit at the back.
food wise im using powdered dry food :):)

Congratulations! I always enjoyed seeing the little wrigglers their first time out.

here are a few more pics of the fry the parents decided it was safe enough to bring em to the glass
img_2115065_0_494bc42d27e1db39bf4296092ce4b48d.jpg

img_2115065_1_c8c9b9e0eac39e86b2022322175dd445.jpg

i have observed both mum and dad picking up the stray fry and spiting them back into the group, dont u just love cichlids?

Congrats! I agree about the whole colour thing. They are a great fish to look at. The albinos are my favorite though. Watching these little guy grow is amazing. They have so much spunk to them! The only thing about when they get going is having a place for the fry! Once you remove the babies get ready for the next bunch.

Congrats!!! I enjoyed reading this post and going on the journey with ya. Im anxiously awaiting my kribs to bring their fry out of the cave!!!

Back
Top Bottom