My Betta Spawn(hopefully)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubyfire

Aquarium Advice Regular
k, Ive been trying to breed bettas for a year now. My first spawn was a lucky one. But no fry were produced. the fish i used for that spawn are now passed.(rest in peace Saphire and Ruby). the other fish i tried either died from fin rot or dropsy or plain died for no reason.(rest in peace Gem,Velvet,and Blizzard). Or i didnt set the tank up right and experiments went bad.

Now i think i am finnaly gonna get it right.(i just have this feeling).

Reacently i got 3 new males and 2 new females. conditioned them and tried Riot and Venus. they started fighting like males after a couple mins i imeadeatly took Venus out.(but not soon enough Riot got a lil chunk taken out in between his lower fin and tail). Venus is just a show female i guess.

Then I tried Riot and Athena a couple days ago. Riot just ignored her and didnt make a bubble nest.
So i replaced Riot with Ares yesturday. He started flareing right away. And today hes been workin on a bubble nest all day :) still small but seems hes building up not out lol. hes also been showing lots of agression. ive caught him trying to bite through the plastic of Athena's cup she is in. but otherwise Athena is showin the signs of being ready.:)

Thanks for reading,hope to keep this up to date and hope it works out this time.
p.s. i love the new Aquarium Advice Logo

Best of luck to you, from what I have read bettas are very interesting to breed. not like my stupid platys who just drop babies everywhere.:) Also can you get some good pictures of the nest he is building like a before and after?

I no wat you mean about the live bearers. My first baby fish were guppies. If i could get a guppy to have babies then i could get any fish right? Well i was rong i didnt research the betta reproduction thoughouly and just kinda through stuff together. i did ok till i found out that having a buble nest right over a fake castle and a plant dont help at all. the spawn was a fail because the male couldnt get at the eggs. havent got any bettas to acctually spawn since. So all in all it was a lucky first spawn even though it failed. That was more than a year ago and now learned alot and think im gonna get it right this time.

srry didnt think of the before pics but i just snaped a shot of most of the main tank and a (sorta) close-up of the male(Ares) and his bigger bubble nest.:) here they are.

p.s. thanks for the luck you guys

Attachments

• breeding tank 003.jpg
    breeding tank 003.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 82
  • breeding tank 006.jpg
    breeding tank 006.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 94
Another thing I've found that works good for breeding bettas is to use the glass chimney from a hurricane lamp.

When I bred them a while back, I would put the chimney in the tank with the male then put the female in it. After a day or 2 they were ready to spawn and I didn't have many aggression issues.

Just a suggestion instead of using the plastic cup. :)

Good luck

ya ive wanted to do that but idk were to get one(i tried usein one from an old lamp....i got in trouble)

good news :Today iss a snow day so i get to consentrate on my fish!!! I also let Athena go with him last night at 9:44pm(it had been almost exactly 2 days since i put them together). Watched carefully at 11:05pm or so she started showing stress bars so i put her back in the cup,shut the lights off, and let them rest.

bad news : Ares is ignoreing the bubble nest. should i put Athena back in with him or wait and see if he starts up the bubble nest again????
the bubble nest is still in tact but still??

k yesterday i let Athena go in the tank for around 5 hrs or so then put her back in the cup. Ares is still ignoreing the bubble nest and its not much any more.
What should I do?? should i keep doing the catch and release or not??? should i take her out for a couple of days and reintroduce her or not?? Should i do a water change??Should i not be useing attison betta spa??

This is always wat happens, as soon as i let the female out the male loses intrest in keeping the buble nest up. ive almost given up several times to breed these amazing fish, but i desperetly want this to work this time. Ive looked at a lot of sites and even gone over lots of sites again.

Any advise at all would help. Thanks

Sometimes the bubble nests are rather delicate and the male maybe building them but they don't stay together. You might want to do a little checking on Indian almond leaves.

i watched him all day he wasnt working on it. i did put some attisons betta spa in there, it contains almond leave extract.

Anyway i seperated them today cleaned out the tank,put fresh water in, rearanged some things, and didnt fill it up so far. Im going to try without putting any of the betta spa in this time(or if anyone recremends me to put some in i will).

In a couple of days (or if anyone recremends longer) Ill reintroduce them.

still anything to help me out would be great ;)
thanks for the website dkpate, now only if it will let me register :)

Thought id share the new set up pic :). Tomorrow or the next day im thinking of reintroducing Athena. Sound good?

Attachments

• Picture0007.jpg
    Picture0007.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 89
k went shopping yeterday. Got a glass hurricane lamp chimney, a snail (named it mist lol) for clean up for if,wen, and after fry are freeswimming, and some air line tubing for syfening the tank, and a brine shrimp hatchery. :)
Introduced Athena last night at around 8. Wen i turned the light on this smornin. Ares tried really hard at biteing through the glass. No bubble nest yet, but it took him a day last time till he started on the nest so no worries yet.

umm i read your thread, I brad bettas 2 time when i was in middle school

you have to wait until the female drops the white tube before you release her to the male,

then unless the female is in very bad shape you have to leave them be, mine took 3 days to finally spawn, they will spawn many times so you kinda have wait before you take her out !!

umm i read your thread, I bread bettas 2 times when i was in middle school

you have to wait until the female drops the white tube before you release her to the male,

then unless the female is in very bad shape you have to leave them be, mine took 3 days to finally spawn, they will spawn many times so you kinda have wait before you take her out !!

the female will be in bad shape after the spawn, I put her in tank with good water flow and filteration and added stress coat and salt. if the fins dont start healing in 3 days add finrote treatment

Goodluck on the spawn. What tail types are they? Any pictures of them? :D I just finished my second spawn yesterday with my super delta male and crowntail female.

Sounds like you are well prepared, goodluck!

Back
Top Bottom