My Bettas Not Interested :s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well today I purchased two betta's .... one male and one female ... they are in the same tank (15 gal) but are seperated however they are not showinbg any interest in each othe rof yet. I was hoping to watch the male build a bubblenest but there has been no action lol. Any Opinions ?

how bout some time....and maybe if they are seperated in the 15g then they dont really notice them because its such a big area.....time, just give em time.

Allright! You want to "TRY" and breed Bettas....
Its not always easy but its very rewarding my wife has succeeded in this endeavor before. The real trick is raising the fry!
A few good places for info are
http://www.bettastarz.com/home.htm , http://bettatalk.com/ and http://nazarenenexus.com/betta_ed/breeding_bettas.htm .
Some of our favorite books are " The Guide to Owning Siamese Fighting Fish" by Gene Wolfsheimer and "Bettas" by Marshall E. Ostrow.

Talk about rough sex...
Preparation is everything with breeding Bettas, a 10 gal breeding tank (is ideal) with a tight lid, plant cover for the female in the corners, no substrate, very light filtration (sponge or box), temp 80'-85' (82' is ideal). Conditioning the breeding pair is essential with lots of very nutritious and preferably live foods and so is the introduction process, you can't just throw them in the tank together.
The female should be presented to the male in a floating jar, specimen tank or behind a clear tank partition. The male and female will be very excited about each other and then your male will prodeed to build the nest or do improvements on a existing nest. The female will show vertical mating stripes when she's ready or horizontal fear stripes if she's not, she should be trying her dang'dest to get out to the male before releasing her. Mating may happen promptly or not, DO NOT leave the female in over night!
Like I said its rough sex and quite interesting to watch.
Then there's the fry to think about with their very specific food and care needs. You will need to have live food ready for them e.g. vinegar eels, whiteworms, infusoria, and BBS are prime foods for these very tiny fry. Some breeders will feed only BBS since only the stronger fry can eat them and hence only the strong survive the first week or two, but some also feel that BBS does not provide enough nutritional value by itself. Your call.
Did I mention that the food must be "live".

Do your research and Goodluck!

I have done some research, and thanx for all the replys. I released the female just to see what happened as I know that she is ready (I think) due to the fact she is huge and has vertical stripes. So I let her out and the male strated displaying next to her. He has shown no aggression towards her of yet. But he still has not began building a bubblenest. Which I thought was strage because when I have had bettas in the past they built them even without a female present.

My dwarf gourami built bubble nests from day one he was in my tank. Now I got him a female a ciuple days ago, she is like your female fat and with lateral stripes, but he doesn't build a nest :roll: . Sometimes I could just go nuts :evil: :mrgreen: .

Back
Top Bottom