My bumble bee gobys my be prego??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I've been seeing my bumble bee gobys doing there thing for a while now. while yesterday she started diging a cave under a rock and has been in that said cave for over 30 hrs. without coming out. I got a picture of her as see was eatting some live brine shrimp. But really can't tell if she is are not. She eats and shots right back in the little cave they dug. Where she remains at the time.
edf369f2.jpg

edf36ac1.jpg

[/img]

Bumblebee gobies are egg layers I think so she won't be pregnant. You might do a search on bumblebee goby breeding though.

I know there egg layers but she still has to prego to have eggs. LOL She layed eggs this morning in the dug out area they maded over the last few days. There so far back in the tank. It's going to be hard to get good pictures. But still going to try. I've been reading up on them sent i got them. They will make caves under wood rocks to spwn but may not lay there eggs where they've dug a whole and lay them on top of plant leafs. But sshe did lay them in a cve. I also red there like kribs nd won't eat there eggs.
But you talk about super small eggs. They remind me of dario dario or badis badis eggs. There so small.

Congratulations-how fantastic! Can you post your tank specs? I love this fish; don't want to breed them, but obviously whatever you're doing makes for happy BB gobies.

Very, very cool--well done. You should be extremely proud of yourself; I see so many of these great little guys doing poorly and it's so nice to see someone who works hard to see that they get what they need to thrive.

-Lisa

Thanks all, The females still under the cave where she layed the eggs. I can see her head at times but she like snaps or nips at everything that passes by. LOL I fed live brine shrimp last night like I do ever night and she came out just enought to eat a few. Ilooked in the dug out and had the canra in hand but she went right back in and blocked the shot. They are red just like my Apisto eggs, but that's because of the live food I fed everynight.
My tank primes are as fellows:

PH/ 6.6 to 6.8
Gh/125
KH/ 250 to 300 changes do to the Co2 and the baking soda
nitrates/ -0-
nitrites/ -0-
chlorian level/ 5.9ppb
amonuia/ was .23 right before water change today
Dh {bonate hardness} 12
Co2 level/ 24ppm
salt leel is less then 1.5ppb { I only add aat times and just a pinch or two.} they where bron in freashwater so I have never really added salt for him but mainly for the fish health.
I've had them for lmost 1.5yrs and this is only the secound spawn. The frist never made it do to CAE. But the CAE's have been removed this time{ man was that a fun job getting them in the net} Hopuly these have a fighting changes.

If there is any { A's } missing from any of my post I apolagize the {A} button isn't working to good. Sorry. LOL LMAO

Thanks for the information on how you keep your 'bees. It's in the future yet, but when I'm able to look after them properly I'd love to give them a try.

There really a easy fish to care for. When I frist got mine I got 6 cause i though there going in a 75gal planted tank. WRONG BIG BIG MISTAKE!! it's best to keep just two to a 55gal tank. They are super super peaceful little guys and gals with other fish. But to others of there kind they get really really aggrasive. My largest male killed 2 of the smaller ones in the frist two days. But he did do anything to two of the others. o Ifigure they where females. I have only two left out of the 6 I frist got. I gve 2 away just to stop the fighting and I mean big fights. Lip loaking and fin pulling. One pulled another around the tank by his tail for a couple of hours til I got another tank set up and going to remove him.
Anyway some people will say a 10g tank for each one. But I've found they are best kept in 15 to 20gl tanks . To be more comfortable. They say they are brackish water fish but most all Bumble bee gobys are born and raised in freashwater and have been for years now. There really hard to find in the hobbie in my neck of the woods. I had to drive 139m to get mine. i've had them for 2.5yrs now and I'm hoping and praying there fry lives. I'm wanting some replacments for these two cause I know there not going to be live much longer. I'm not sure how long they live in captivatie. I will say this. If you want a fun and active little guy to be center peace in your tank. Plus a single fish to whatch for hrs. On end. The bumble bee goby is your fish. This is the coolest little fish around nd I love this fish, they both have been asuper addistion to the tank. The female is larger then the male. It's realy not hard to tell them apart . The males ventral fin is pointed and the females isn't also the female has a smaller dorsl fin then the males.

Tell me about the CAE Weasel!!When I upgraded a tank I couldn't get my CAE until the tan was almost empty. I though he was going to die because the tank was so cloudy.

My CAE's are going on two yrs. Old and most people say when they get older they attcach them selfs to the fish and stop eatting algee, Mine have never done that and they are still eatting algee quit nicly. There over 4'' in size and have spawned twice with only 10 or so fry serving. But they are super fast and will cause you to make a disaster of your tank trying to chase them with a net. LOL So I just leave them alone and they do there thing. The other fish do there's.

They say they are brackish water fish but most all Bumble bee gobys are born and raised in freashwater and have been for years now.
Please keep in mind that years do not discount the hundreds to thousands of years it took them to evolve and they did in an estuary environment, which means their natural habitat fluctuates between fresh and brackish water. It has been well documented that they breed in fresh water.

That's true butif you read TFH in last months issue there's a nice write up on them. where they say "They are equally at home in freash water as salt" Most gobys are better keep in salt. Imo I have a very happy goby to have them spawn in the tanks. I was just lookin gat the female in the dug out under the cave and I'd say she has wigglers forsure. she moving around alot and picking up suf with her month. So I should be seeing free swimming goby babys in a few day.

Just remember that there are many variants of bumblebee gobies and some do like different types of water conditions. The ones I get around here like brackish water more than freshwater. I did get one trio though that did quite well in freshwater.

There's been a lot of people lately who have kept bumblebee gobies in freshwater and have had a lot of success in doing so. And yes, where they live they do see Sg changes and ph changes quite a few times a day.

If you want them to brred anymore allow them to get an hour of sunlight if you can, and water changes induce spawning. Also drop in empty snail shells, that' s the main thing other than caves that they lay they're eggs in.

Sorry if spelling or grammar sucks but this whole day i've been misspelling every word for some reason. This sentence alone probably has been gone over 3 times.

Ok all I thank moma is with fry. I can see them under the cave in the dug out she mde. I also se little black dots moving around with her. Now she is coming out but not going over a inche from the dug out. she is chasing away fish 20times her sizes. LOL It's so funny whatching her. when she comes out I try to get pictures but as soon as she see's me she darts back in and blocks the entrance to the dug out. I'll get a picture sooner or later.

Back
Top Bottom