My Dalmation Molly only had 1 fry!?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EndlersEatGuppies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought a female Dalmation Molly and it was pregnant. It only had 1 fry is this normal???:(:confused::crazyeyes::cry:

It can be. Fish can abort if they want to, but also can have reproductive issues the same as us.

Tim Wheatley said:
It can be. Fish can abort if they want to, but also can have reproductive issues the same as us.

!!!! But it is not normal for mollies to only have one fry correct !!!!

Or she could have ate them all you usually have to separate them because they will eat their own fry

:)

But seriously just keep an eye on her. Fish can die during pregnancy, during birth or after giving birth. There's nothing you can do. Often the first batch of fry is smaller. The first ever livebearer which had fry for me had 3 severely disformed fry and 2 healthy ones. She went on to produce perfect fry in large numbers for a while until she died with a baby stuck half inside her on a later batch. The fact she had one is nothing to worry about, it just depends on the cause... None of which you can really help.

:)

But seriously just keep an eye on her. Fish can die during pregnancy, during birth or after giving birth. There's nothing you can do. Often the first batch of fry is smaller. The first ever livebearer which had fry for me had 3 severely disformed fry and 2 healthy ones. She went on to produce perfect fry in large numbers for a while until she died with a baby stuck half inside her on a later batch. The fact she had one is nothing to worry about, it just depends on the cause... None of which you can really help.

ow wow so sad. that gives me a thought i had a female guppy and a male guppy. the female died after two days. maybe this is her fry and i never saw it???

well anyway thanks for all the help:lilangel::eek::):):D

Livebearers can also give birth over several days - so for example: the first day I saw fry from my original molly, there were only 4.

When I woke up the next day there were 9.

At the end of the week there were 20 babies. :)

Vircomore said:
Livebearers can also give birth over several days - so for example: the first day I saw fry from my original molly, there were only 4.

When I woke up the next day there were 9.

At the end of the week there were 20 babies. :)

Thank so much. More waiting

This could just be a result of a poor quality food being given to the molly which decreased her fertility rate. My swordtail only had 7 fry max and thats in a breeder trap! It is also just different for some fish.

So tetra color is a poor quality food. I have that because I have tetras. If so what should I get??? :(

Not from you, the fish store could have possibly have a poor quality. This was just an idea. I think it was just the molly's first batch and the next brood would be larger in numbers.

Dylan5359 said:
Not from you, the fish store could have possibly have a poor quality. This was just an idea. I think it was just the molly's first batch and the next brood would be larger in numbers.

O ok thanks

Breeder traps can sometimes cause stress from what I have seen. I stopped using them as that can probably cause less fry to be born. I just added a lot of lower level objects and cover and this worked well to save them from the parents.

Back
Top Bottom