my first time breeding bettas can anyone tell me if my set up is right?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caj52

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have driftwood with java moss drifting over it some rocks of to the side not near the bubble nest indian almond leaves in the back just waiting for my betta to blow a bubble nest again because I cleaned the tank as well as moved the plants and rocks to the side thanks!!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110323_215953.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110323_215953.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 136
I read that your not supposed to because it makes it harder for them to find the eggs

I read that your not supposed to because it makes it harder for them to find the eggs

what do u mean by that. also if u have rocks the adult betta's will not be able to eat the eggs because if they are not hidden they will be eaten and no baby fish.:cool::)

Because when he squeezes the eggs out of her they fall to the bottom and I've read that they can actually lose the eggs because of the rocks or substrate or gravel

How did you go about your set up if you don't mind me asking :)

Fishman13 said:
what do u mean by that. also if u have rocks the adult betta's will not be able to eat the eggs because if they are not hidden they will be eaten and no baby fish.:cool::)

The adult male Betta needs to find the eggs to put them in his bubble nest. He will not eat all his eggs.

Bettatalk.com is a very informative site that I have turned to many times for my bettas. It has a lot of info specifically about breeding. I hope this helps.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

food

Why powdered fish food?

you can also crush up flakes but that is a good way to kill them, because they eat to much. powdered fish food is so fine grain and is really easy to feed them. also feed them about 3 times a day

Oh for the babies I bought microworms for them and I have baby brine shrimp

I have bred bettas last year but ended up closing down. Setup looks great except that container the females in. It should be see-through. I went to a hardware store and bought a $2 oil glass chimney cover. From the picture it looks like there is a net or something.
What he means by conditioning is optional. But usually required for the female after breeding. (it's just keeping them in a nice tank warm water, being fed nice foods, etc.) Conditioning before breeding is optional but what I suggest is just feeding them some nice foods, (bloodworms, etc) Also how old is that male? Most males tend to lose their mating drive at about a year and over. And believe me it's true, had this problem with one of my older bettas. Also instead of that styrofoam cup I suggest using a small section of bubble wrap. Tends to stay in place more but they work all the same in the end. And I assume you know when to add the female to the male? Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom