My ghost shrimp is carrying eggs! What do I do? What do I do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
She's in with 6 blue tetra and a hillstream loach. I gave her a "cave" to hide in, but other than that, I think I will just let the babies "Darwin" it out. How likely are the tetra to go after the babies? If I had a spare tank, I'd move her, but my only empty container right now is a fish bowl. I'm so excited! I'm going to be a grandmother! :lol:

I had one that gave birth and she died the next day. it was weird tho, she pulled them outta her.. i saw one swimming a few days later but after that nothing. I'd say they will go after the babies honestly cause most fish eat what fits in their mouth.

If you want to raise ghost shrimp, get yourself a small 2-gal tank or so and cover the sides with dark paper, and put the female in it while she is still carrying the eggs. There should be some java moss or something in there for the tiny shrimp to hide in. Once she drops the eggs she needs to be removed or she will eat the babies. The newly hatched shrimp are attracted to light and will ram themselves to death into the sides of the tank if it is not kept covered. Feed them daphnia. I have never done this but have researched it when my shrimp were carrying eggs. Catching her turned out to be too much of a chore so I abandoned the idea!

Also, harder water is better for them, supposedly for the development of their exoskeleton.

Back
Top Bottom