Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

My guppies pregnancy

Kay, I'm starting this thing off with my tank info:

10g tank
Healthy water (already balanced/acclimated fish inside/established tank)
Chemicals: stress coat+ and copper safe+ (why do they have a '+' at the end anyway?)
Don't know pH, but must be healthy enough since everyone is thriving
No nitrates, nitrites, or ammonia
Healthy fish

I have 1 pregnant guppy and 1 to be pregnant guppy and 1 male

(more info to be put in future posts)

Old 02-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank has two plants...and my female is very pregnant!!! Please comment!!!

Attachment 78322

My females chest is sticking out! I think she's pretty close to popping!!! I'm excited!!! ^^

Old 02-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The time of taking that pic in my last reply is three days ago, I will post a better and more recent pic of them ^^
Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well she has a male in there so she is defo pregnant! She seems from that pic to have a small gravid spot which could mean one of two things, either she has a couple week to go or it is her first pregnancy!? When you post an updated pic try get it from the side if possible and we can see her better!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Updated pic from this morning of my guppy:

Attachment 78334

The male is bothering her and her chest I puffed out!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh and her gravid spot is less visible because it was taken early this morning!(I dont really understand that) I'm sorry it's so blurry!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeh the babies react to light, so the longer they are in the light (later in the day) the more likely they are to face the outside of her belly resulting in what can be seen as the gravid spot, which is basically the babies eyes!

She still looks a little thin to me but sounds like the male is having fun and surely enough in a couple of weeks you will have fry. Out of interest how long have these fish been together, recently introduced?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

She is not as pregnant as you describe her to be. If this is her first pregnancy then I would get ready for babies! If this isn't her first then wait till you see her stomach almost box up and her spot to become dark and black. That should give you a sign that the babies are coming soon. I am a successful guppy breeder and have over 50 offspring so far with more on the way. Which I sell to stores and give to friends. So if you have any more questions about guppys just let me know!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2603134958.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	78350

Hope this pic helps. From this you can see a female guppy about one or two days away from birthing. Notice the dark gravid spot that you have been talking about, rather large and 'squarish'.

I read your other thread, and if you are planning on using a box/net breeder then either get a net one, or be sure to change the water in the plastic box every day because in my experience the boxes can restrict the flow and sometimes a film will build up on the surface of the water in the box/net so agitate that too. don't fully submerse them in the tub thing you had because feeding will be a problem and also lack of surface contact may or may not be a problem.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can I try to make the tub thing float around the tank with some balloons or something? Then the babies would have surface area and feeding would be easier. I might be using the HOB hang on tank (in earlier post) so I won't have to worry about water changes or acclimating the hippies to the tank. I believe that the guppy is in her first pregnancy (she is young) but i bought her pregnant (it wasn't on purpose, she was just really pretty) so it is a bit of a blind guess. I will take another pic of her when I get home, and do tell me if my ideas will work! ^^

Tags
guppie, guppies, pregnancy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com