My Guppy Breeding Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWFishTanks

Aquarium Advice Addict
Haven't done this kind of thread before, but I decided I would. This thread will be about my guppy breeding systems and the strains I am currently breeding! These first two pics show a full room shot, complete with a tank rack that is cat proof, and the reason they are cat proof. I am currently breeding dwarf panda guppies, as well as a "custom" guppy strain I call emerald flametails. I hope to get some show class guppies down the road, but those are my 2 current strains. Pics will be up for those fish as well! (y)(y)(y)

Attachments

• 103_2239.jpg
    103_2239.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 103_2246.jpg
    103_2246.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 101
Yay!! Kitties are so naughty. I've been thru so many 30 inch glass tops. Now I just leave the lower tanks open.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The panda guppies and their setup(s)! First pic is of an adult male panda in my tank, second pic is my fry raising tank, 3rd pics is the main tank for the colony (some fry in there as well), and the last pic is of a 3 month old male that I am raising up to sell. I have about 15 young ones that are getting near the sell able age, and around 30 or so young fry.

Attachments

• 103_2244.jpg
    103_2244.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 103_2245.jpg
    103_2245.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 92
  • 103_2242.jpg
    103_2242.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 103_2240.jpg
    103_2240.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 101
Yay!! Kitties are so naughty. I've been thru so many 30 inch glass tops. Now I just leave the lower tanks open.

Lol that's why I made the removable covers on the bottom, to keep the lil kitties out. The one time I didn't cover a tank, I lost a beautiful halfmoon betta. The bottom of the rack is currently not in use, but it will be soon I hope!

Here is a picture of my male emerald flametail. By no means is it a show quality strain, but I am breeding these mainly for fun and hopefully a bit of store credit to buy more stuff!

Lol that's why I made the removable covers on the bottom, to keep the lil kitties out. The one time I didn't cover a tank, I lost a beautiful halfmoon betta. The bottom of the rack is currently not in use, but it will be soon I hope!

They mostly just drink the tank water these days. Several of my cats grew up outside and for some reason prefer tank water to fresh tap water. Once in a great while somebody goes fishing but not lately.

Ooh kind of a snake skin eh?

he actually doesn't have to much snakeskin in him, or at least that I can see. He is very metallic green on the sides and has that fiery tail. He did come from a drop of snakeskins back when I bred those.

he actually doesn't have to much snakeskin in him, or at least that I can see. He is very metallic green on the sides and has that fiery tail. He did come from a drop of snakeskins back when I bred those.

Ok
I see now. I just enlarged the pic. I'll get you all the info on the ifga and etc tonight

Thank you, I am going to the aquatic experience, and I may want to ender my pandas if they have the show.

Thank you, I am going to the aquatic experience, and I may want to ender my pandas if they have the show.

I'm going to try to go to that as well. I offered to volunteer at the Chicago Killifish Association table as I go to their meetings. If I don't volunteer I'm thinking of going Saturday and Sunday. Not sure yet. Next meeting is Sept 19 and I'll find out for sure then if I'm going to help with that.

Next IFGA show is Oct 2 and 3 in MA. They don't show over winter. Look into American Livebearer assoc. Or society in forgot exactly what that goup is called

Very refreshing to see a member developing their own strain rather than buying show guppies and furthering the already available. The breeder I've been apprenticed to is staunchly against buying show strains and continuing the line, he is all about breeding from basic beginnings to show quality. I've witnessed three separate lines come to fruition in my time with him. One line started with endlers. Its such a rewarding project to look back 5-6 generations of your work and see the results. Best of luck and my only piece of advice to add is stay with it. For a few generations the changes might not be too obvious but as you continue selective line breeding you will reap the rewards of patience. Best of luck!

Very refreshing to see a member developing their own strain rather than buying show guppies and furthering the already available. The breeder I've been apprenticed to is staunchly against buying show strains and continuing the line, he is all about breeding from basic beginnings to show quality. I've witnessed three separate lines come to fruition in my time with him. One line started with endlers. Its such a rewarding project to look back 5-6 generations of your work and see the results. Best of luck and my only piece of advice to add is stay with it. For a few generations the changes might not be too obvious but as you continue selective line breeding you will reap the rewards of patience. Best of luck!

I don't know if I plan on making the flametails into a show quality strain, but I am definitely striving to make them true breeding and a bit higher quality! :dance:(y)

you know I might dedicate more than one tank to these flametails, contary to my original plan of just one. possibly two tanks to raise the fry in and seperate the ones that lack the desireable traits and re ad the desireable ones. This is mind boggling lol

Haha I understand the wide spectrum of learning. I guess I was trained old school in guppy breeding. Having seen the work in genetic choice pan out I guess I'm spoiled to the possibilities.. I saw him focus on dorsal traits and produce fish with dorsals that extended past their delta tails...

Maybe i'll start with the dorsal, my male has a stub of a dorsal fin currently, and then I can work on his tail posture afterwards. But first I gotta get them breeding true, as the batch he came from was extremely random, there were bottom sword guppies, cobras, and etc. I just chose the closest looking females and added them with him and now I have a bunch of fry.

Back
Top Bottom