My guppy just gave birth. Now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jadejordin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a two gallon fish tank with a little filter. I have a male guppy and another one (which the name escapes me right now.) that looks like it has mickey mouse on its tail. Those two are in a separte bowl that is about a gallon. My female guppy was in the two gallon fish tank and just gave birth a few hours ago so I moved her in to a tiny bowl and letting her rest up and see if shes got anymore babies in her. She gave birth to about 29 or 30 as far as I can see. So now what do I do? Also I had the filter on while mama was giving birth to child number 4 and I noticed one of them get sucked up! I was able to get the little guy out. So thats off now. When will I be able to turn that back on? Thanks for your help=)

Mickey mouse platys are the ones you are thinking of. For me I keep the tank around 80 degrees, and they sould be ok with the filter. So you can put that back on. its just when they are first born they arn't really sure what everything is. but if you arn't sure, I would cut up a old fish net or tights. and tie it around the in take part. So you will still get water, but when they get to close to it they wont get sucked up.

If you do keep the tank around 80 degrees you have to feed them a little bit more. the good thing is they will grow up faster. I just feed mine regular fish flakes, and some baby brine shrimp. they love it.

thats a small tank for them. i would look into getting a 10-20 gallon tank. a female guppy can give birth several times with out a male around.

Mickey mouse platys are the ones you are thinking of. For me I keep the tank around 80 degrees, and they sould be ok with the filter. So you can put that back on. its just when they are first born they arn't really sure what everything is. but if you arn't sure, I would cut up a old fish net or tights. and tie it around the in take part. So you will still get water, but when they get to close to it they wont get sucked up.

If you do keep the tank around 80 degrees you have to feed them a little bit more. the good thing is they will grow up faster. I just feed mine regular fish flakes, and some baby brine shrimp. they love it.

I will defiantly do that. Thank you!

thats a small tank for them. i would look into getting a 10-20 gallon tank. a female guppy can give birth several times with out a male around.

I am actually getting one today. Thank you for your help!

Yeah, I have come to understand that livebirthing fish can store sperm for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom