My new Agassizii pair just laid eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STANNY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Having recently lost a pair of cockatoos, i decided to keep Agassizii instead, so found a nice pair locally just a few days ago. Now I had no intention of breeding them, or any of the fish i have for that matter, but after a water change today, i noticed the pair chasing each other about rather aggressively. I was a bit worried about it so watched most of the evening. I turned my back to watch some football, and when i check up on them again i notice she is actually laying eggs on a leaf. Once she was finished the aggressive looking behaviour started again.

Now i dont really have the money or facilities to seperate them from the rest of the fish, but will do all i can to increase their chances while in that tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ill try get some pics, although where she has laid the eggs will make for very awkward distorted pics.

I don't believe it, in the time it took to type that post, it seems the male has managed to eat them all.

Will he do that every time, or is that just because it's his first time?

That is quite common for young apistos. The good news is that they usually get the hang of it after a few spawns.

It can vary and young fish are harder to tell. Once an adult pair really get going, they can spawn monthly or more often. It also seems to depend on whether you pull fry or not to a degree too. We always leave a part of the spawn with younger cichlids though. The (hopeful and non-scientific) reason is to get them to the point where they are good parents and allow us to leave full spawns eventually.

I've got a feeling they are due another spawn, and may actually be in the process of it now.

I can home from work to find her (Libby) sat in the entrance of a cave (flower pot) looking a much brighter yellow than usual with very little sign of her usual black markings. Whenever the male (Bruce) came near the cave she would approach him on her side, belly first, waving her tail rapidly, enticing him into the cave. He would go in do a bit of a dance with her then come back out.

Now they have gone into the pot together, and have gone into the roof of the pot where I can't see them, and have yet to emerge 5 mins later.

I will report back in a bit, with any more changes in behaviour.

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've got a feeling they are due another spawn, and may actually be in the process of it now. I can home from work to find her (Libby) sat in the entrance of a cave (flower pot) looking a much brighter yellow than usual with very little sign of her usual black markings. Whenever the male (Bruce) came near the cave she would approach him on her side, belly first, waving her tail rapidly, enticing him into the cave. He would go in do a bit of a dance with her then come back out. Now they have gone into the pot together, and have gone into the roof of the pot where I can't see them, and have yet to emerge 5 mins later. I will report back in a bit, with any more changes in behaviour. Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Mine are doing the same thing! He's not as interested as usual though..

It's so cool to watch this behavior ain't it? Can you see where yours are likely to place the eggs? I've a feeling I won't be able to see these eggs as the will be in the top of the flower pot.

It's so cool to watch this behavior ain't it? Can you see where yours are likely to place the eggs? I've a feeling I won't be able to see these eggs as the will be in the top of the flower pot. Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Never gets old, her changing colors is awesome, after I feed bloodworms she gets black lines over her eyes, looks fierce, they have a big dark cave with lots of nooks and crannies I cannot see, than again the 2 small bn Pleco's probably find the eggs pretty quick..

Well there are definitely eggs in there. I can just see them through a small hole in the top of the flower pot. I've taken a picture, only on my phone tho and zoomed in, so may not be very clear.

She is now guarding the cave and chasing away any fish that gets too close, including Bruce. Her black markings seem to be slowly coming back too. Bruce seems to be trying his best to stay out of her way.

Attachments

• 1390422565797.jpg
    1390422565797.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 1390422587981.jpg
    1390422587981.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 1390422609114.jpg
    1390422609114.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 1390422654193.jpg
    1390422654193.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 58
Just arrived home from work and the eggs seem to have gone. Don't know who has eaten them this time, but Bruce was staying away all the time I watched last night, in fact he is still staying away now, and Libby would viciously chase away the tetras. Could it have been the Kuhli loach's? They only really come out at night, and they can be so sly and quick I don't think she would be able to defend against them.

Just arrived home from work and the eggs seem to have gone. Don't know who has eaten them this time, but Bruce was staying away all the time I watched last night, in fact he is still staying away now, and Libby would viciously chase away the tetras. Could it have been the Kuhli loach's? They only really come out at night, and they can be so sly and quick I don't think she would be able to defend against them. Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I'd say there's a strong possibility it was the loaches.

Back
Top Bottom