My Platy's in mid-Birth!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smjmcomic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My pregnant Sunrise Platy does not look at all her top fin has been down most of the day. She only comes to the top to eat. I'v found her just about laying on the gravel.

I do see dots but I'm not sure if she's full term tho

Ok her male counterpart passed away last night see is even closer now I see black dots in her. I'm not sure if she's sick or about to give birth her belly is pretty low. This would be my first fry so I pretty much have no idea what I'm dealing with. I have a breeder to save them in but if she dies before she gives birth I'll be so bummed.

I'v only had her about 2 months but I remember her being pretty active the first month I had her.

perhaps she is not handling the pregnancy well? I would say try to keep the water clean, and make sure she is eating. Try to keep the lights off to make her feel more comfortable. Good luck!!!

Thanks Ruby I turned the light off. I'm going to get the water tested at the fish store. I don't trust theses home test kits.

Thanks Ruby

I just came back everything is fine as far as the water goes now if I can just figure out whats up with this fish I might be on to something.

SHE'S HAVIN THEM NOW!!!!

So far 11 babies 3 empty eggs only 1 stilborn SO FAR!

Important question How do I know when she's done?

Damn It! She just ate one :?

She had 18 healthy fry

about 5 still borns 4 empty eggs

she only ate 2

This is are first fry!!! :new-bday: :invasion:

rich311k said:
Congratulations good luck with them. How is Mom doing?

Thank you

She is doing really well I just fed her some blood worms she ate like crazy.

I feel like a jerk I thought she was done but she ended up having 2 more out of the breeder I was not able to say them.

I figure 18 is pretty good for our first time.

Good deal. My platy only had 6, but I had 100% survival, so I got what I wanted out of it. hope they are all still doing well.
Congrats!

You said her counterpart died. It is very possible that the other fish' death had some affect on her. When our Pearl Gourami male passed our female was just hanging out at the bottom of the tank occassionally swimming and eating...But once we replaced him she perked up and swam around. Our Molly was removed for medication and she was all staying at the bottom of the gravel, etc in the QT tank but once she was done with her meds and back with her Molly male she was swimming and eating and all kinds of stuff. Try replacing the male and seeing if that helps. Good luck and congrats on the Fry !! They are so much fun.

Thanks guys,

Mom fish passed away 3 days after having birth

She stayed alive just long enough to have them

I found 3 fry swiming in the tank the day after she gave birth. I have no idea how they were able to swim in the open like that without becoming a meal? So add 3 to the total :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom