my very confusing platy.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilliemoon5ilver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Some time ago I posted about my female platy that I thought was pregnant when I bought her. After 6 weeks without fry I figured I was wrong and bought a male hoping to knock her up. She has looked very large and has had what I thought was a gravid spot for close to 2 months now. For a couple of days she was rather still near the bottom of the tank so I went ahead and put her in the breeder. She's been there for nearly 3 days and still no fry. I'm beginning to feel like I'm being kinda cruel leaving her in the breeder. How long should I wait out the birthing process? She seems interested in food still. Should I let her back out?

sorry about the photo quality. I'm taking the photo through green mesh....

Attachments

• PICT0020.jpg
    PICT0020.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 114
lilliemoon5ilver said:
Some time ago I posted about my female platy that I thought was pregnant when I bought her. After 6 weeks without fry I figured I was wrong and bought a male hoping to knock her up. She has looked very large and has had what I thought was a gravid spot for close to 2 months now. For a couple of days she was rather still near the bottom of the tank so I went ahead and put her in the breeder. She's been there for nearly 3 days and still no fry. I'm beginning to feel like I'm being kinda cruel leaving her in the breeder. How long should I wait out the birthing process? She seems interested in food still. Should I let her back out?

More than 24 hours in the breeder can really start to stress a fish out. Might wanna let her out and see is she shows anymore signs and try again later.

To clarify. She looked preggo when I bought her. 6 weeks later no fry so I bought a male. It has been 2 weeks since I bought the male. She looks bigger than when I got her, but none of the time-frames match up. (too long for a pregnancy that started before I bought her and not long enough for a pregnancy with my new male.) Right? But she is showing the signs that she might be ready to go.... I have no idea what to think.....

Thanks. I really don't wanna loose the fry. Luckily I do have some hiding places for them if she goes unexpectedly.

lilliemoon5ilver said:
To clarify. She looked preggo when I bought her. 6 weeks later no fry so I bought a male. It has been 2 weeks since I bought the male. She looks bigger than when I got her, but none of the time-frames match up. (too long for a pregnancy that started before I bought her and not long enough for a pregnancy with my new male.) Right? But she is showing the signs that she might be ready to go.... I have no idea what to think.....

Unfortunately I'm not an expert on breeding fish or platies. I however did have a Mickey Mouse platy i thought was pregnant and people on this forum thought so as well. It's now been over 3 months and nothing. My platy is just fat! Hahaha. But yes the timeframe doesn't seem to make much sense! I'd just keep an eye on her and maybe wait for someone more knowledgable on platy breeding to chime in.

Wiggles24 said:
Livebearers can store sperm for months n months she could of become pregnant after you got her even without a male:)

That is true! Forgot to mention! As I said I'm no expert! :)

She's back in the main part of tank. (I have molly fry on the other side of a divider with the breeder in the fry side.) She immediately went behind a decoration and is just chilling by herself at the bottom. Does she look ready to pop to you guys? Or is she maybe just being weird?

I did a 50% water change yesterday and she's back to her old self, zipping around the tank. I'm guessing I'll have to watch the nitrates more closely while I've got part of the tank divided off with fry in it. Perhaps I am over-feeding the fry a little, or they are producing more waste than I thought..... Anyway, thanks everyone. Maybe she is just fat, lol.:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom