Mystery/Apple Snail Breeding 10 gal. setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
i want to start breedig mysterysnails to sell, i have a 10 gallong that is empty, i dont have a filter for it though. should i need a filter r will frequent water changes work? i know they need a scource of calium, is there any DIY calcium support for them. to feed them i have algea wafers will that be enugh? im planning on leaving the tank sterile, should i add some Java/Christmas moss? I have a bubbler, could i put it in the tank aswell?

thanks in advance for reading my ongoing lifestory :lol:

I'm sure your tap water is ok for calcium, unless your using RO water. My tap water already has calcium in it, Perfect for my shrimp tank:) you would still need to do regular water changes, as with any tank. You could feed vegetables like zucchini and spinach. You might want to try shrimp pellets too:) as for the bubbler, I'm sure no harm will come from using it.

do you think i should leave the water level down 25% or 50%? lol i will treat them wiht lettuce too, as for the filter, should i buy one or will the water changes do?

Bubbles0oO said:
do you think i should leave the water level down 25% or 50%? lol i will treat them wiht lettuce too, as for the filter, should i buy one or will the water changes do?

I think that 50% should be fine, but I'm not sure. I know they lay their eggs above the waters surface, so 50% should be ok IMO. I can't really say, maybe try it for a week and test your parameters. If they're fine, then water changes should suffice but if the nitrates come up high, you should probably get a filter.

ok and should i be worried about cycling can i just take some water out of my bigger tank and put it in there? (my fish in the bigger tank wont mind ;p )

Bubbles0oO said:
ok and should i be worried about cycling can i just take some water out of my bigger tank and put it in there? (my fish in the bigger tank wont mind ;p )

Yeah, I would cycle the tank. Inverts are sensitive to ammonia and nitrite. You could add the water from the other tank, and also cut some filter floss out of the cartridge from the other tank as well. You could also put gravel from your other tank in a bag (you can get the bag from your LFS) and just place it in the new tank. That should seed the tank:)

so im gonna take 5 gal out of my tank and put it into my 10 gal, put some gravel from big tank into it and bubbler in the corner, can i put the gravel in a sock and hang it in the tank, id like to keep it sterile

Bubbles0oO said:
so im gonna take 5 gal out of my tank and put it into my 10 gal, put some gravel from big tank into it and bubbler in the corner, can i put the gravel in a sock and hang it in the tank, id like to keep it sterile

Yeah that sounds good, I'm not too sure about the sock because it was washed using detergent. I wouldn't do it. Petsmart and Petco sell little bags that you can use.

Back
Top Bottom