Mystery eggs in my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To sex your gouramis look at the dorsal fins. The male dorsal fin is much longer than the female.

male

male with female

The first two pictures are the longer finned gold, the one that's guarding the bubble nest. The last two pictures are the shorter finned one, who isn't even allowed on the same side of the tank as the bubble nest. The other gold won't allow it to

Attachments

• image-1938433195.jpg
    image-1938433195.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 111
  • image-440662769.jpg
    image-440662769.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 80
  • image-3724870152.jpg
    image-3724870152.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 74
  • image-4084093753.jpg
    image-4084093753.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 84
Okay, this sounds like post spawn behavior as males are the ones who care for the nest and eggs but they certainly don;t do it in the middle of the glass. Also, the eggs usually have an oil drop to make them float so they shouldn't be stuck to the glass in any case. There are some algae forms that reproduce in a jelly like substance ( I googled "animals that reproduce in jelly" ) so this may be one of those? Too many things not making sense on this one. ;) They did look like clear eggs in that first pic which really makes me believe snails. Gourami eggs are usually white. So many questions, so little info :D lol Time will tell. Keep your eyes open for little snails to "all of a sudden" appear ;)

Okay, this sounds like post spawn behavior as males are the ones who care for the nest and eggs but they certainly don;t do it in the middle of the glass. Also, the eggs usually have an oil drop to make them float so they shouldn't be stuck to the glass in any case. There are some algae forms that reproduce in a jelly like substance ( I googled "animals that reproduce in jelly" ) so this may be one of those? Too many things not making sense on this one. ;) They did look like clear eggs in that first pic which really makes me believe snails. Gourami eggs are usually white. So many questions, so little info :D lol Time will tell. Keep your eyes open for little snails to "all of a sudden" appear ;)

A few posts ago I said I found a bubble nest floating directly above the mystery eggs. That's why it looked like he was guarding the mystery eggs, he was just guarding his own. I can't make out any eggs in the bubble nest as of yet.

A few posts ago I said I found a bubble nest floating directly above the mystery eggs. That's why it looked like he was guarding the mystery eggs, he was just guarding his own. I can't make out any eggs in the bubble nest as of yet.

Unfortunately, it just really sounds like your fish is confused. That mass is not likely their eggs. It's in the wrong place and doing the wrong thing. Besides, Gourami eggs usually hatch in 24-36 hours at proper tamp (78-80 degrees). What you can do is look across the bottom of the bubble nest and see if you see any tails wiggling underneath there. (You may want to use a magnifying glass for this.) It's much easier to see the hatched fry from below than the egg in the nest from above. If there are fry, your fish may have found a new way to sink a bubble nest to hold the eggs.:confused: Never say never (y)

Unfortunately, it just really sounds like your fish is confused. That mass is not likely their eggs. It's in the wrong place and doing the wrong thing. Besides, Gourami eggs usually hatch in 24-36 hours at proper tamp (78-80 degrees). What you can do is look across the bottom of the bubble nest and see if you see any tails wiggling underneath there. (You may want to use a magnifying glass for this.) It's much easier to see the hatched fry from below than the egg in the nest from above. If there are fry, your fish may have found a new way to sink a bubble nest to hold the eggs.:confused: Never say never (y)

No I don't think he's guarding the mystery eggs. I DID, until I found his bubble nest floating above it. And figured out why he was hanging out in that corner. For HIS eggs, not the mystery eggs.

And I just checked on them and his bubble nest is gone now anyway. :( he just made it this morning and I guess changed his mind

No I don't think he's guarding the mystery eggs. I DID, until I found his bubble nest floating above it. And figured out why he was hanging out in that corner. For HIS eggs, not the mystery eggs.

And I just checked on them and his bubble nest is gone now anyway. :( he just made it this morning and I guess changed his mind

That may have to do with the water movement in the tank. Gouramis usually breed in slow to no moving water so he may have found a slow place to blow a nest but if the circulation changed ( by something as simple as a plant repositioning) he will scrap the project as the fry are very sensitive to water movement so when they know (or think they know) their spawns will not survive, they stop the spawning process.

So that may explain why his nest is gone. Now, back to those mystery eggs :brows: :confused: I really want to know what happens to them (y)

Keep watching :)

That may have to do with the water movement in the tank. Gouramis usually breed in slow to no moving water so he may have found a slow place to blow a nest but if the circulation changed ( by something as simple as a plant repositioning) he will scrap the project as the fry are very sensitive to water movement so when they know (or think they know) their spawns will not survive, they stop the spawning process.

So that may explain why his nest is gone. Now, back to those mystery eggs :brows: :confused: I really want to know what happens to them (y)

I'm definitely watching it. So far its unchanged. If its snails, I have no idea how small they will be when hatched but I'm looking for them.

attachment.php

This looks like a male. I can't make the other pictures out clearly enough on my screen...

More "mystery" eggs literally JUST appeared! Same tank.

Attachments

• image-181192267.jpg
    image-181192267.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 98
Try googling "loach eggs" I saw a few pictures that look like what you have.
My guess is that your yoyo loach is a female and she is laying eggs, but they are not fertilized obviously, so they won't hatch.

Eggs still there, and unchanged. I gathered all 4 of my ramshorns out of my other tanks and put them in a separate tank to themselves to see if maybe I can get eggs from them and compare.

Ramshorn eggs are clear yellow in a flat gel-like pouch on leaves. Not like yours.

Ramshorn eggs are clear yellow in a flat gel-like pouch on leaves. Not like yours.

Well thank you :) one less experiment I have to do:) I think the only way ill ever know who laid these eggs is if either I actually see them lay more, or if by some chance they are fertile and happen to hatch... I've been driving myself nuts over these eggs. I've tried to breed numerous fish with no luck, so seeing eggs was kind of exciting

My plec randomly laid eggs in my tank, it's just something she done. I guess it must be similar to a humans menstrual cycle, with or without mating it just happens :lol:

My plec randomly laid eggs in my tank, it's just something she done. I guess it must be similar to a humans menstrual cycle, with or without mating it just happens :lol:

I hear ya lol I guess I was just excited. I've only bred convicts and auratus cichlid so it would of been a nice change to see a new kind of babies. Both batches of eggs are still there so only time will tell now

Just wanted to update, the eggs are still there along with another batch. They are obviously not fertile and ill be cleaning them out :)

Not that I know of, all 3 batches of eggs were still there unchanged. I cleaned the older two off the glass and left the newest batch just too see if anything happens with it

Back
Top Bottom