Mystery eggs in my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Untaughtlibra84

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I'm new here, and I just found an egg cluster, in some type of jelly looking stuff, on the side of the glass in my tank. It's a gourami tank, 4 honey dwarf, 2 gold, 2 powder blue and a yo yo loach. There are 2 small zebra snails, but the eggs look to big to have come from them. From what I read gouramis are bubble nesters so where did these come from??

Attachments

• image-1484955206.jpg
    image-1484955206.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 150
  • image-3692474290.jpg
    image-3692474290.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 167
  • image-4274445087.jpg
    image-4274445087.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 161
other than that they were hitch hikers from something u put in there cause gourami do bubble nest

other than that they were hitch hikers from something u put in there cause gourami do bubble nest

Nothing new has been added in the past 5 months... That's why I'm completely puzzled. And just wondering, don't nerite snails lay their eggs topside? Out of the water?

not sure all i have is giant rams horns

I have quite a few ramshorns in other tanks, by far my favorite snail. I have alot of different kinds of snails in each tank I have and have never had snail eggs. I've heard people say they overpopulate a tank fast but I've never had snail babies in the 12 yrs I've had aquariums. That's why this batch of eggs is so exciting. I don't think they are fertile though. Completely transparent. Like little glass balls

thats why i said snail eggs cause they look like rams eggs

Just nerites in this tank...I guess I truly have mystery eggs lol I don't think they are even fertilized. They don't look "open" or broken like something came out of them. Sorry if that sounded stupid I'm new to the whole egg thing. My breeding experience is my convict and auratus cichlids

cool . im a angel fish breeder and plecos and snails. well i guess we have a mistery until we ever see them agian. lol feel free to pm me if i can ever help. oh nice tattoo by the way

Usually, eggs in a jelly case are from either Snails, Frogs or Salmanders/Newts. Are you sure you don't have another type of snail in the tank that may have been a hitch hiker from a plant? Even if these came from a plant, they shouldn't have been able to relocate to the glass so this really rules out them coming into the tank on something. Guess you are going to have keep your eyes on that mass and see what comes from it.

Keep us posted

cool . im a angel fish breeder and plecos and snails. well i guess we have a mistery until we ever see them agian. lol feel free to pm me if i can ever help. oh nice tattoo by the way

Thanks :) just got more work done on it a week ago. Yeah I have 6 angelfish and have no clue who's male or female. Any sexing tips?

Usually, eggs in a jelly case are from either Snails, Frogs or Salmanders/Newts. Are you sure you don't have another type of snail in the tank that may have been a hitch hiker from a plant? Even if these came from a plant, they shouldn't have been able to relocate to the glass so this really rules out them coming into the tank on something. Guess you are going to have keep your eyes on that mass and see what comes from it.

Keep us posted

What's got me, is one of my gold gourami is guarding them. Like in the pictures. It's not eating them, and it won't let any other fish over there. Could the gourami think its theirs? Or saving them for when it gets hungry? I keep everyone well fed here, so maybe its not hungry enough to eat them at the moment

What's got me, is one of my gold gourami is guarding them. Like in the pictures. It's not eating them, and it won't let any other fish over there. Could the gourami think its theirs? Or saving them for when it gets hungry? I keep everyone well fed here, so maybe its not hungry enough to eat them at the moment

It might think it's theirs but Gourami eggs come out 1 at a time and are placed in a bubble at the water surface so this should be an unnatural thing for them to see.
Could it be protecting a food source? Maybe. Could it think it's a spawn? Maybe. (But if there is no pair of gold Gouramis in the tank, then this is one odd behavior. ;))

So do your best to see when they hatch :D or get eaten :( and keep us posted (y)

It might think it's theirs but Gourami eggs come out 1 at a time and are placed in a bubble at the water surface so this should be an unnatural thing for them to see.
Could it be protecting a food source? Maybe. Could it think it's a spawn? Maybe. (But if there is no pair of gold Gouramis in the tank, then this is one odd behavior. ;))

So do your best to see when they hatch :D or get eaten :( and keep us posted (y)

I do have two golds in there, whether they are male and female I can't say for sure. But this morning I did notice a "betta-like" bubble nest directly above it! I'm assuming that's why it looks like the gold is guarding it. I'm watching it like a hawk, they still look transparent and empty. So either they are duds, or already hatched before I noticed it was even there.

I do have two golds in there, whether they are male and female I can't say for sure. But this morning I did notice a "betta-like" bubble nest directly above it! I'm assuming that's why it looks like the gold is guarding it. I'm watching it like a hawk, they still look transparent and empty. So either they are duds, or already hatched before I noticed it was even there.

To sex your gouramis look at the dorsal fins. The male dorsal fin is much longer than the female.
img_2715395_0_9b0bdbf97808efab7c06a98d0da4c3d9.jpg

male

three_Spot_gourami.jpg

male with female

Back
Top Bottom