Mystery snails. Are they mating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine do this a lot but I haven't seen any babies yet. Mine like to ride on each others back as well. I'm curious to see if this is them mating.

I'm also waiting for mine to start laying eggs. They've done that since Septmeber but I've had no evidence of egg sacs or babies.

But they also do that, and the "female" bucks and seems to try to throw the "male" off.

I had a sac of some sort once. They put it on the front of the tank and I was going to wait over night to see how big it got but when I got up the next day my mother in law proudly told me that she had gotten in my tank and cleaned the "mess" off the front of my glass... I'll never know if it was eggs, or how big it got. They've never done it since then. :(

I have to say yes this might be what they are doing. I just found 2 egg clutches on the underside of the lid of my filter. I can't tell yet if they are fertilized or not. She just laid them last night.

If you want your apple snails to breed, make sure that there is enough dry space in the tank for the snails to lay their eggs on. Usually 1-2inches under the painted part is good.

What is your water temp? I turned up my heat to get rid of ich and thats when mine started laying eggs. I've got my temp at 83-85 right now. They laid some more last night so right now I have 4 clutches.

Its around 80 today but its raining. Normally around 85.
Its an all glass tank so theres heaps of condensation.

Don't know if that could be putting her off or the fact that hes constantly mating with her.

Back
Top Bottom