Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2016, 04:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Need advice on Guppy breeding tank setup

So just yesterday I bought 2 guppy females, they're quite big already so I guess they're ready to be bred. Sadly I haven't setup the breeding tank (nor do I know how to set it up), so I put those 2 there with 1 male, just to make them start "knowing" each other. Tho my male is clinging onto 1 female only, sometimes go for the other one, but mostly onto the one who has bigger belly.

I've searched around google and youtube and so I've seen 2 types of breeding tanks, the planted tank one and almost-nothing tank. From these two, which do you prefer/use, and can you post a pic of your guppy breeding tank here so that I can see the actual example??

I know that the ratio was supposed to be 1:3 but I've searched the lfs and I only found these 2 females (they usually only sell males). I'll look for another female next week when I got my tank setup and ready to go.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:26 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I've used both. One with lots of hiding spots is handy in a community tank.

I've also used a bare tank where there is only the mother.

Occasionally I have used the breeding traps all the way through but I tend to use these to catch the fry and put them somewhere safe after birth.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
I've also used a bare tank where there is only the mother.
So how do you know if the mother has been fertilized? In order to separate the mother from the male?

Quote:
Occasionally I have used the breeding traps all the way through but I tend to use these to catch the fry and put them somewhere safe after birth.
Can you explain what exactly did you do here??

Oh and what kind of filter did you use for the fry tank?? Can you post some pics of the filter????
Old 03-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Need advice on Guppy breeding tank setup

In my case the female was showing a rounded belly and was well advanced. I'm not sure how long a male and female would need together for the first lot of fry. I've read the female can store sperm for up to 10 months although mostly I read enough stored for several batches of fry.

Using this filter in the small tanks. Mainly I wanted it to be adjustable on flow and self-priming. I've also used air powered internal and hob filters.

Mainly I think as long as you can adjust the flow rate.

http://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/sh...Power%20Filter

In the larger tank it's all canister filters and large internal filters but there must be enough holes and quiet spots for them to hide in.

With the breeding traps I've tried the ones where the fry are meant to drop through to another chamber but sometimes the fry aren't that clever and they are a bit small for the female.

So I will either keep the female in the main tank and just catch any fry I find before the other fish do and then put them in a breeding container in the main tank (just anything that keeps the fry in and let's water through).

Or put the female in a separate small tank and put female back after birth / put her in a decent sized breeding net for a couple of days to let her recover before going back.

I should add I don't breed them for money or any lines, etc; just for fun every so often.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When my platys were breeding (accidentally lol) I found it helpful to have plants and rocks and decorations, in order for the fry to hide (helpful enough for me too have 10 a month after buying 3)...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-11-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
In my case the female was showing a rounded belly and was well advanced. I'm not sure how long a male and female would need together for the first lot of fry. I've read the female can store sperm for up to 10 months although mostly I read enough stored for several batches of fry.

Using this filter in the small tanks. Mainly I wanted it to be adjustable on flow and self-priming. I've also used air powered internal and hob filters.

Mainly I think as long as you can adjust the flow rate.

Marina Slim S10 Power Filter - The Aquarium Shop Australia

In the larger tank it's all canister filters and large internal filters but there must be enough holes and quiet spots for them to hide in.

With the breeding traps I've tried the ones where the fry are meant to drop through to another chamber but sometimes the fry aren't that clever and they are a bit small for the female.

So I will either keep the female in the main tank and just catch any fry I find before the other fish do and then put them in a breeding container in the main tank (just anything that keeps the fry in and let's water through).

Or put the female in a separate small tank and put female back after birth / put her in a decent sized breeding net for a couple of days to let her recover before going back.

I should add I don't breed them for money or any lines, etc; just for fun every so often.
Yeah, I want to test guppy breeding first (to get the experience first). As for a mass breeding to sell.... Well I might do it in the not so distant future. But for now I don't have the space nor the budget for that xD

As for that filter, how strong is the GPH? I can't find it anywhere :/
Old 03-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy1111 View Post
When my platys were breeding (accidentally lol) I found it helpful to have plants and rocks and decorations, in order for the fry to hide (helpful enough for me too have 10 a month after buying 3)...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Plants and rocks? Can you tell me what kind of plant did you use?? I'll look for them

As for the aquarium floor, what did you do to it?? I heard some people planted some flame moss/hair grass/whatever to cover the substrate and to make a suitable hiding place at the bottom of the tank for the newly born frys.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh and one more thing (for now), does shrimps eat fish frys? Because I have 5 shrimps inside the breeding tank atm :/
Old 03-12-2016, 04:01 AM   #9
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfalcon View Post
Yeah, I want to test guppy breeding first (to get the experience first). As for a mass breeding to sell.... Well I might do it in the not so distant future. But for now I don't have the space nor the budget for that xD

As for that filter, how strong is the GPH? I can't find it anywhere :/

I had a look and unfortunately can't find anything. It's not very strong. I usually run it flat out and the fish don't mind.

The self-priming and sponge around the intake were attractive but the slim design does mean less media.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

So if you cover the intake (pipe) with sponge, the frys should be fine?? But what about cleaning the sponge, won't it bother the fishes?? I heard some fishes might get stressed over this but dunno about guppies

Sent from my vivo Y28 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
advice, breed, breeding, guppy, setup, tan, tank, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com