Need baby fish help!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jetajockey said:
you can accomplish the same thing by taking pellets or flakes and grinding them in a mortar and pestle. Or putting them in a bag and smashing the crap out of them with a hammer or some other heavy blunt object.

Boiled egg yolk works also but use it very sparingly.

Live foods are best, though, they don't foul up the water nearly as fast, and some fish seem to be picky about foods and only go for stuff that wiggles.

Lol, can you buy live microworms? Or are they all freeze dried?

jetajockey said:
microworms? they are live, and tiny. They are actually nematodes, not actual worms. Bait shops don't carry something like that.

Are they sold at PETCO? Are they in those refrigerators?

jetajockey said:
microworms? they are live, and tiny. They are actually nematodes, not actual worms. Bait shops don't carry something like that.

Oh they don't? Good to know, it was suggested to me, but I never had the time to check.

No, you likely won't find a microworm culture except online or possibly through a fish club. You could always ask a LFS, but a chain store employee will look at you like you are speaking greek. The cultures don't cost much, just a few dollars. I usually sell a large starter culture with fresh media for 6 or 7 dollars

jetajockey said:
No, you likely won't find a microworm culture except online or possibly through a fish club. You could always ask a LFS, but a chain store employee will look at you like you are speaking greek. The cultures don't cost much, just a few dollars. I usually sell a large starter culture with fresh media for 6 or 7 dollars

I don't know what a culture is...

a starter culture is the material and organisms that you start with to create and maintain your own culture with.

Basically, all it takes is something like oats and yeast to keep microworms breeding and alive, but you first need some microworms, so you get some from someone who has them (usually in an oat/yeast medium as well).

Back
Top Bottom