Need fast reply please - air pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rustypleco

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello everyone, sorry but my filter has died and i need to order a new one, i was looking at the "hang on water fall effects on" its for my fry tank, it says it OXYGENATES the water????

does that mean i can do away with the air pump. this is for a fry tank by the way

im looking at one that does 600lph and going to attach a sponge filter to intake pipe. fast response will be appricated. many thanks

pump im looking at is 600lph and the tank i have for my fry is 25L. thanks

THATS GREAT! as im using a sponge filter at the moment as my power head died but i like to creat very good filtration and the misses moans about electric prices all the time. so if i cant tell her that we can get rid of air pump im sure she would let me order the filter :)

so i can 100% get rid of air pump? thanks

I have 2 outa 5 tanks running like this. Should be fine bro :)

thanks guys, do you think 600lph is too much? sorry its a 30ltr tank not 25. many thanks

Yes. I don't run any air pumps just filters. Most of the time the filter alone creates enough surface agitation to promote oxygen exchange. IMO air pumps are noisy and annoying anyway.

rustypleco said:
thanks shold i get the 600lph or 400lph?

I like to over filter tanks but IMO 600L/h is too much for a 40L tank. You don't want the fry getting knocked about too much. I'd get the 400. Even they you might have to slow the flow.

thats what i was thinking about the fry getting knocked arround. what about a 250lph one?

rustypleco said:
thats what i was thinking about the fry getting knocked arround. what about a 250lph one?

Even better IMO. That's still just over 8x an hour turn over. You will be (or should be) changing and vacuuming regularly anyway so it's fine.
Just to put it out there, you can make a DIY sponge filter for a couple of dollars. :)

Back
Top Bottom