Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

NEED HELP!! Got fry, need to feed, don't know what nor how!!

Hey ladies and gents!
I was changing my filter's media the other day. ( Saturday ) and when I was getting ready to trow the water and filter out, guess what I saw swimming around?.. you got it... little itsy bitsy fish fry... must be from my Zebra Danios.
I NEED HELP. What can I feed them, and must be something I can get set up or get my hands on really quick... I have try the powder fish food but they are to small to eat it i guess. Please help me out, i got 12 or more of those little guys that must be hungry!
I bought baby brine shrimp that comes in cube in the frozen food section, but I think the shrimps look to big for my little guys....

What can I do, I dont want to loose them, what quick solution you can recommend to a dad in distress!!!

Thank you all.
PS. I have left the spared filter media in the 2 gal ( right now with only 1 gal of water in) square bucket i used to add clean water to my tank and where my fry resides for now. Should I remove this used filter media out??? I have placed a air stone within a sponge to provide some sort of filtration and oxygen at the same time. ( dont worry the bubble are down to a very slow minimum)

PLEASE HELP!

Lets have some fun boys, time to test our metal!
MiamiFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Please note I have removed your duplicate post that you listed in the unhealthy fish area. Double posting does not give better exposure or faster answers.
Thanks.

Old 01-31-2006, 12:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks, it was by mistake that I posted on the unhealthy fish forum!
Lets have some fun boys, time to test our metal!
MiamiFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Your fish will not starve. There are tiny aquatic organisms living in the water and gravel of an established tank that the fry will eat until they are large enough to eat powdered food.

This past fall, I brought some aquarium water samples to my 9th grade biology students for them to view algae under the microscope and we found lots of micro-organisms such as amoebas, paramecia, nematodes, etc in addition to the algae I wanted the students to view and try to identify. I was truly shocked that my home aquarium had such a diverse community of micro-organisms.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:30 PM   #5

You can feed them this to it's a super way to fed fry. I've been feeding Betta fry for 22 days this way. But only used 1 egg not 4 or 5. lol You can also just rub your wet finger on the yolk and put what rub off in the tank.
http://www.fightingfish.com.au/article.php?id=5
Old 02-02-2006, 06:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
I've heard of some liquid fry foods that may work
Old 02-02-2006, 08:12 PM   #7

what other fish are in the tank??? Just curious as to if it could be anything else. oh and congrats. Fry are fun.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The easiest and cheapiest way to feed fry is by just placing fish flakes in a baggie and crushing it into a fine powder. By doing this, I would suggest you increase your water changes to keep up with the feedings. HTH
Old 02-03-2006, 03:47 AM   #9

The egg yolk has a lot higher protein. The more protein you can get your fry and the faster is better for them in the begening. They will have rapid growth plus be healther. I've always used yolk with Betta fry and even introduced it into my Apistogramma frys. The main part of feeding your fry right now is to NOT over fed them. That will cause belly blowet and more problums in the long run.
You tell if there getting enought to eat by just looking at the belly. If it's pink they've ate and it's time o remove the left overs. With any food you fed them,tank cleaning is a huge must after feeding them. I know with live BS if it's left in the tank after it's death the Amonia levels will shot throu the roof. As long as there geting high protein to start with there more likely to mak it then just plain feeding them and hoping for the best.
Good luck with the fry

Here's a couple of links for BS hatcherys you can make on your own. If by change your needing some thing to fed.
http://www.geocities.com/lfs2002sg/brine.htm

this is the way I do my BS hatchery, The main thing with me is at any giving time I have at least 3 to 4 frys going at a time. So this one works great for me
http://www.fightingfish.com.au/article.php?id=41

this set up here they have one on aquabid now for $11.99
http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/food/bbs/how_to_bbs.html

Again best of luck with the fry

Tags
feed, fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com