Need help with my fry!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psingh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my convicts spawned and i moved the fry (pls dont ask why) i moved them too a heated 2.5gallon 1 ft long tank. is this ok? im guessing theres probably about 50 fry maybe? might be more not sure.. i doubt there are over 70+ but i dno there very small n it will take too long to count lol.. Is this tank ok? hopefully i will get another tank in 1-2 months but im waiting for them to eat all of there egg sacks and become free swimming so i can feed them... but the problem is the tank is not CYCLED. it may have been preciosly cycled about 1 yr ago lol.. but then i emptyed it ask i got a bigger one.. i have now got a new sponge filter that is powered by a air pump.. it seems to be ok. i also have a heater in there.. how long is it beforei have to remove them from that tank? i dont want to shunt or stun there growth or size... also if you have any information on how often you feed them or anythink like how much water changes please get back to me.

my convicts spawned and i moved the fry (pls dont ask why) i moved them too a heated 2.5gallon 1 ft long tank. is this ok? if u keep all of the fry NO.
its WAY overstocked

but the problem is the tank is not CYCLED. It needs to be cycled just do a 50% pwc every day until the water levels are fine.

how long is it before i have to remove them from that tank? when they don't fit into the other fishes mouth and they don't fit into the filter intake.

also if you have any information on how often you feed them? i feed mine 2-4 times a day.

my comments are in BLUE

Thanks for replying fishman13, how long can i keep the fry in that tank until i have to remove them?. i have a 45 gallon tank with just a convict pair in there.. the pareants but my fry always die.. its happends about 7 times now.. they all slowly die i think it may be a problem of filters too strong as they dont even develop as free swimmes at 2 weeks sometimes.. but hopefully in this tank i can keep them in here for a little while.... also if i put them back in the tank when there alittle bigger will there pareants eat them?

how long can i keep the fry in that tank until i have to remove them? when they don't fit into the other fishes mouth and they don't fit into the filter intake. also in month like 2-3 month.

how long can i keep the fry in that tank until i have to remove them? when they don't fit into the other fishes mouth and they don't fit into the filter intake. also in month like 2-3 month.

But im sure my convicts mouths are quiet large lol it will take several months for them to get that big... and i will need a way larger tank.

But im sure my convicts mouths are quiet large lol it will take several months for them to get that big... and i will need a way larger tank.

well if it had 20+ fry feed them some of them to the convicts. It may seem mean but its for the best. only keep like 10 or as many as you can keep. thats what i would do but if you don't want to do that idk what u should do.

Fishman13 said:
well if it had 20+ fry feed them some of them to the convicts. It may seem mean but its for the best. only keep like 10 or as many as you can keep. thats what i would do but if you don't want to do that idk what u should do.

+1... it'll make them tougher, and it's the circle of life.

What about getting one of those plastic breeder things that hooks on the top of your tank? They sell them at petsmart. Then the fry would already be in a cycled tank.

Kat1103 said:
What about getting one of those plastic breeder things that hooks on the top of your tank? They sell them at petsmart. Then the fry would already be in a cycled tank.

Those things are just cruel IMO. they confine the fry too much, and he'll still wind up overstocked.

welll thanks for all the suggestions :), kat i thought about that but id rather keep them in my smaller tank than have them sqwashd in there. Most liklyi should have a 20g this week 2ft long. Will it be ok to keep them in there?, And homedog i dnt wna kill my fry lol. my convicts have already killed them a few times :)

Psingh said:
welll thanks for all the suggestions :), kat i thought about that but id rather keep them in my smaller tank than have them sqwashd in there. Most liklyi should have a 20g this week 2ft long. Will it be ok to keep them in there?, And homedog i dnt wna kill my fry lol. my convicts have already killed them a few times :)

Ok, maybe you can sell em!

Ok, maybe you can sell em!

Hopefully lol altho i wudnt mind keeping some, Also do you think i should start feeding my fry? im not sure if i should as they arnt free swimming yet.. and i dont know if theyve fully ate there egg sack or w.e they eat. I could upload a video or a pic to show you them.

yes u should feed them

Are you sure?, because other person in post thinks otherwise. they dont look like they can eat. i put some decapsulated brine shrimp eggs in there earlier n they cant even swim to get them they jsu wriggle about n huddle up together.. lol so i removed them lateron well asmuch as i could because some kind of stuck

Are you sure?, because other person in post thinks otherwise. they dont look like they can eat. i put some decapsulated brine shrimp eggs in there earlier n they cant even swim to get them they jsu wriggle about n huddle up together.. lol so i removed them lateron well asmuch as i could because some kind of stuck

how old r they???

how old r they???

Im not sure.. im guessing around 5 days i cant remember. ive heard that they can even take up to 20 days to reach free swimming stage but not sure if its right, Because they cant move so i dont understand how there going to get food even if it is small enuf for them.

They need to be swimming around before you can feed them. Right now they are still eating their egg sacs.

They need to be swimming around before you can feed them. Right now they are still eating their egg sacs.

Yeah i was guessing that but the thing is.. nearly all are "wriggling" on there backs i think they might be deformed because ive heard fry with bent spines,

Back
Top Bottom