need info on feeder guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bear78

Aquarium Advice Regular
i was needing some info on what the lfs calls "feeder guppies" i have a 10 gal w/8 guppies. i really REALLY need to know which r males and females before im over ran w/guppies. :lol: 8O

Well, males will generally be more colorful and slimmer. Another is the anal fin. The female has a fan type fin and the male will have a rod type fin carried close to the body. I'll try to find some pics for you. HTH

Well, I managed to get some pics of my guppies (tequila sunrise) that I hope will help, but they aren't that great.

Here's the male.

I would avoid feeder fish if you can, in terms of keeping them as pets. They are raised in poor conditions, since they are intended as "lunch" so to speak. They are just not going to be quality, healthy fish, so if you can, get the pet-grade guppies.

Great pics, Fluff!

well unfortunately i need them for lunch for my kids pet turtle. they caught it in the wild about 3 months ago have been feeding him floating turtle food but i want him to get used to catching fish and insects so that when he gets too big i can return him to his natural home. i bought the 8 guppies and i am down to 6 now. i just wanted to know if i can breed them instead of buying more every week. i just cant tell them apart they dont have very much color (not like the fancy) their tails r a pale yellow and the rest is a more natural fish color. kinda tan id say. with their tail being so light in color it makes it really hard to see if it is pointed or round. dont know if this means anything but a few of them have black spots in the back of their abdomine.

I wish I had some pics of feeder guppies to show you, and I didn't have much luck finding any. Sounds like you have females. And if they have a black spot in the abdomen, it sounds like they are already pregnant. In my experience, even with feeders, the males will have some color as they mature. Usually orange or black. Given time, it will be obvious which is which. The males will display and the females will be bigger. But, like TankGirl said, feeders aren't quality fish and you may need to go through quite a few to get some good healthy ones to keep for breeders.

time is something that my turtle isnt allowing them to much of. down to 3 now went back to the lfs and got 8 more. my turtle eats like a pig. and hes just a baby. anyway the ones that r left only one looks to be mature and has the black spot on the abdomen. ive tried to look at them w/a flashlight to see their tails better and i think i found a male his tail is pointed at the tip but it kinda looks like something bit the middle of it. ive noticed most of them r to small to tell but i have 4 that r lil over 1inch. 2 of them have black spots on them and one has that pointed tail the other is more slender cant really tell if the tail is different (he or she wont stay still long enough)

The guppies I can see in your pictures look like females to me. Are you gonna try to breed them in the turtle tank?

well the plan is no but if its to late then i might not have a choice. im tryin to make room and get another 10 for a breeder for the guppies but i live in a small apartment and im really pushed for room right now. my other tanks r full even my qt tank. ive got another 10 w/5 tigers in it right now. and my betta is in the 1 gal qt. :?

hey fluff u really have pygmy rattler? i thought it was illegal to have poisones snakes? anyway thats too cool do u have a pic?

I really don't think your guppies are gonna breed if kept in the turtle tank. The stress alone from running for your life constantly would probably prevent that. Yeah, I really do have the rattler. It depends on where you live. Some places require you to have permits but WV is one of those states that don't. You can keep anything as long as it's not native. Well, it's not a good one but here's a pic.

thats just to kool fluff 8O i think i may have found a male guppy but need someones opinion it is very aggresive towards the other fish and it is alot slender and more streamlined have a decent pic of it. let me know what u think. and here is a pic of the attacker.

Are you talking about the fish with the yellow fins and black spots on it's side? That kinda looks like some kind of platy to me. But still looks female. Sometimes pictures can be deceiving. A male that size would be obvious if you look at the anal fin. The male, even if it is a platy, swordtail, molly or guppy should have a rod type fin. It will hold it up, not fanned out like the females. Wish I could be more help.

Cool turtle. Looks like some kind of terrapin. Any idea what it is? Have you tried feeding it pre-killed food? Maybe some bait minnows or worms? Just a thought.

my kids named the turtle "snappy" but i do believe its either a chelydra serpentina serpentina (the common snapping turtle) or macroclemys temmincki (the alligator snapping turtle) leaning more towards the common snapping turtle based on the info ive gottin. very similiar but at the same time very different. i feed him a variety of things from floating turtle food to small insects mainly crickets, and resently started letting him catch guppies (when he can) the reason i give him such a variety is when he gets to big i hope to release him back into the wild. gotta teach him while hes young. i guess in due time i will figure out if ive got a male in the bunch LOL!

8O OMG UPDATE!! 8O i found a guppy fry in my turtle tank!!!!!!!! only seen one. really small just happened to see somethin swim in front of the web cam and boy was i supprised when i did double take and looked in the tank, cant be very old and have only seen the one. but im still lookin. :shocked!:

Back
Top Bottom