Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Need info to hatch Corydora eggs PICS

Ok, so my previous post about nerite snail eggs is now not needed (yet, at least). Apparently, it was my corydoras doing the egg laying. I promptly removed them, as I was noticing that my bosemani rainbows had a taste for them...
I managed to 'save' 20 or so. I was going to remove an amazon sword leaf that had several eggs on it, but I watched as my BGK picked it clean.

1) How do I get them to hatch? I have them in a tupperware container right now, but I would figure it would be best if I put them in a hang-on-tank breeding net? Then I wouldn't have to do daily PWC's and such.

2) What's the gestation period (assuming the eggs are fertilized)? I kinda wonder, since though a male was trailing behind her as she laid the eggs, he's not very old, approximately less than 6 months.

Some of the eggs

You can kinda see the egg sack (crappy pics, best I could do, she was moving crazy fast)

Old 11-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

looks cool!
no help about the eggs though

Old 11-09-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to DarylF2 Send a message via Yahoo to DarylF2
My Corys lay eggs 2-3 times a week, so I pray for my loaches to eat all the eggs! LOL!

The eggs should hatch in 2-3 days, and don't seem to need much care. Having a gentle flow of water over them will help. You might want to have some fry food (special fish food formulated for newly hatched fish) on hand, but cooked egg yolk (the yellow, not the white) will do in a pinch; be very careful not to overfeed, as that can encourage the growth of fungus which will quickly kill any unhatched eggs.

Once they get a little bigger, scrape a little algae from the side of your main tank to feed them, or use bits of sinking algae tablets.

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2006, 04:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Heres what I do-It may sound a little unorthodox but It gets me a 40% success rate should I try to rear them.

I wait 6-8 hours after they have been laid and remove them with an old credit card and place them in a small plastic goldfish bowl with one inch of water which has been de-chlorified and treated with 2 drops of methylene blue.I do not heat the bowl-I simply place it on top of the hood of my other tank.I normally have ''wrigglers'' after 3-4 days.When I am satisfied they have all hatchedb I remove any fungussed eggs with a turkey baster and conduct an almost total water change with de-chlorified water and just a drop of methylene blue.I repeat this daily until day 2 of ''wriggling''.

Note-I did not remove the egg casings they had hatched from.

After they have been free swimming for 2 days I remove all remaining egg-casings and do a water change to 2 inches,I only treat with a drop of methylene blue and place a couple of Malaysian trumpet snails in there to clear up any deaths.I then start feeding with 2 drops of infusoria or egg yolk twice daily.I change the water everyday thereafter up until week 2.Then I transfer the fry into a floating infant tank in my other tank and feed on finely ground flake and frozen brine shrimp daily.I remove any uneaten food before I re-feed with a turkey baster.My fry are normally safe to put into my main tank after weeks 6-8.

I normally have more success with my peppered corries than my bronze ones.

I find the best way to raise them is by doing it ''almost accidentally''.First time I saw fry was in an old bucket some years ago which had old weed clippings festering in it.The moment I started ''tampering'',transfering them to a tank with filtration/heat and air bubbles I lost them all.

This is what works for me anyway.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

When they are free swimming, they are large enough to eat BBS, and grow quickly if fed that.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

breeding corys

Do you have to have the same breed of corys???or will a bronze breed with a panda????Please let me know,
Old 04-29-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
No they need to be the same species.

Tags
cory, corydora, egg, eggs, pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com