neon tetra pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

photokate

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 5 gallon tank with 2 neon tetras and one african dwarf frog. One day I noticed that one of the neons was very fat. I did some research on the net, and it seemed everyone's fat/bloated fish was sick. My fish shows no signs of being ill... it swims fine, eats fine, and looks healthy, so I'm thinking "she" may be pregnant. How long does it usually take for her to go into labor? and to tetras lay eggs or have little fry? She has been plump for a few weeks now. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I don't know anything about breeding fish.

Thanks,
Kate

tetras lay eggs.
look really close for scales lifted off the fish (just look for the signs of dropsy) if none are there then she might be holding eggs.

thanks for the quick reply. yeah i read about the scale thing, and her scales are nice and smooth. maybe I'll attempt to take a pic and post that.

so if she does actually lay eggs, I'll obviously remove the frog from the tank... then do I separate the fry once they are hatched?

Kate

Neon Tetras are often VERY hard to breed without purposefully trying. Not impossible, but not common for them to get pregnant by accident. Also, you need extremely soft, acidic water for them as well...around a pH of 5-6. Do you know the pH of your tank? The neon could be constipated as well. Keep an eye on it, or try feeding it some peas (nuked in the microwave for a few seconds, just the meat portion) to make them poop more. This is my first guess, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. :wink:

swollen neon tetra

Hi I noticed your reply about above fish,I have the same problem and her scales are lifted of her body in parts around the bottom and sides, what should I do......I'm new and already going to be a fish granny.....lol
would appreciate any advice,have no idea what to do for her ,I have tried the peas
izzycomosy :D :?

Re: swollen neon tetra

izzycomosy said:
Hi I noticed your reply about above fish,I have the same problem and her scales are lifted of her body in parts around the bottom and sides, what should I do......I'm new and already going to be a fish granny.....lol
would appreciate any advice,have no idea what to do for her ,I have tried the peas
izzycomosy :D :?

your fish has dropsy.. treatments are penicillin, tetracycline and naladixic acid.

greenmagi said:
ahh.. yea. I would peal the pea as well...
devilishturtles said:
try feeding it some peas (nuked in the microwave for a few seconds, just the meat portion)

Hence me saying, 'just the meat portion'...but incase I wasn't clear enough photokate, yes, make sure you peel the peas beforehand. Otherwise, your fish are gonna try to eat it, but they wont be able to. You want just the mushy insides. I would try this first before you assume your tetra is ready to kick out little 'uns. :wink:

Thank you so much I have been reading up on it and I thought it might be dropsey, can I treat it in the aquarium or should I isolate in another tank
Thanks for the quick reply
izzycomosy

Devilishturtles said:
Neon Tetras are often VERY hard to breed without purposefully trying. Not impossible, but not common for them to get pregnant by accident. Also, you need extremely soft, acidic water for them as well...around a pH of 5-6.

I don't know the pH of the tank, but we do have soft water, and I've been having an algae problem (if that would make it acidic).

I just fed them peas, and they seemed to like that better than their regular food... I've never seen them eat so fast :lol:

Just incase, I will go buy some more plants, like the grass you suggested greenmagi.

If the fish is pregnant, how long do they usually carry eggs for?

izzycomosy said:
Thank you so much I have been reading up on it and I thought it might be dropsey, can I treat it in the aquarium or should I isolate in another tank
Thanks for the quick reply
izzycomosy

That would depend on what is in the tank with the infected fish.. If the case is bacterial based the cause would be contagious and all the fish might need to be treated. If the swelling was sudden then this would be the case.

Back
Top Bottom