new addition to the tank...no idea from where

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PITT

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I have a 55 gal planted and waaaayy back I had 2 chinese algae eaters...many moons ago one made a trip to the great aquarium in the sky.

About a month ago or so I got two SAE (so the LFS said but they are false).

I know there should only 3 of this type of fish....

I get home today and there is one that kind of looks like the false SAE but has the yellow head. I think maybe they are 'maturing' into chinese but then my two false are spotted. THIS IS A NEW FISH!

Could it have lived this long from fry and never been spotted? I doubt it since I'm always looking in there and as I said it is bigger than the 2 false SAE that I have. My big chinese had red dots on it's nose and a red line on the 'bridge of his nose' and his tail was a bright red. I'm starting to feel like someone is playing a joke.

One fish has colors i've never seen and there appears to be an offspring from that fish.

I know this is a little rambling but this all just went down and had to post this. If someone has an explanation great but thougt if nothing else you all might get a kick out of it.

Have you ever found a new fish (not talking about fry)?

Post pics of the mystery guy. I doubt it was a CAE baby, as I'm pretty sure they don't breed in captivity. Maybe it was a hitch hiker that came in with some plants when it was tiny?

The new guy is on the right.

Attachments

• 1-26-07__6___large__390.jpg
    1-26-07__6___large__390.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 27
Hm. They both look like CAEs to me.

Bizarre. So, it sounds like you have 2 false SAEs plus the new guy. Have you seen all three fish together at the same time? It's not possible that one of your new fish is just changing colors?

When I first saw the new guy I thought it was on of the false but w/ a yelowing head so figured he was 'maturing' but then the 2 false where spotted. THe pic is side by side so even w/ the poor quality you can see it is yellower and bigger. The new guy has been see w/ the 2 false all at the same time so i'm sure it is new.

Back
Top Bottom