Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

New Anglefish

Any chance I might get a pair out of 4 leopard angle fish? I just bought 4 and they're in a 5.5 gallon (temporary) since I just move to a new aprt I'm waiting for the manager to approve the fish. If she dose I'm gonna get my 30 gallon and put them in. When will they mature? Do I have to wait when they mature to tell who's male or female? Picture below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2339587383.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	190172   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-485557038.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	190173  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3874021985.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	190174  

Old 08-04-2013, 02:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's a good possibility, in at least a 50 gallon tank

A 29 gallon is the absolute minimum, needless to say four
By the way beautiful Angels!

Old 08-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks I saw a jumbo angelfish at the store there was a male and female but the thing is that they cost like 23$ each. I wanted to get it but they cost too much. I have a 70 gallon but its just way too long to be in the aprt
Old 08-04-2013, 02:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea man, but if you want them to breed a 30 gallon won't cut it, they need more space
Old 08-04-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm waiting for the manager to approve if she dose ill put them in the 30 gallon for now and I'll take a picture of it also when I can.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, good luck, but I doubt they'll pair up in a tank that size, good luck
Old 08-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

30g is the minimum for one. You should really get a 55g for four. They will all have a stunted growth in the 30g and most probably won't reproduce.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

if im rite the leopolds are like minature angels. if they pair off soon u will be ok. rehome the others after u get a pair. i use 20s and 30 for breeding all the time. i eaven seen some people breed in 10s. yes angels do require a lot more room but it depends on how many you keep .
Old 08-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishforlife View Post
Any chance I might get a pair out of 4 leopard angle fish? I just bought 4 and they're in a 5.5 gallon (temporary) since I just move to a new aprt I'm waiting for the manager to approve the fish. If she dose I'm gonna get my 30 gallon and put them in. When will they mature? Do I have to wait when they mature to tell who's male or female? Picture below
To answer your questions: Angelfish can start breeding at about 8 months old. Until they reach close to that age, sexing them will be sketchy at best. If your fish fit into a 5.5 tank, they will need at least another 6 months or more of growing before they reach 8 months old.
The only guaranteed way of sexing them is by watching who lays eggs and who fertilizes. The ones laying eggs are the females
To answer your first question, let me ask you this, if you have 10 or even 100 fish and they are all the same gender, will you get a pair? Obviously not. How many fish you have does not increase your chances of pairs. At this point, I'd just enjoy the fish and IF you have both sexes and they pair off, then you can go to the next step. If you want to better your chances of getting pairs, you should really get larger fish. This will increase your chances of getting opposite sexes as there are some external signs on larger fish that sometimes gives their gender away.
There is a thread under the breeding forum titled "Wigglers at last" which talks all about breeding and raising Angelfish. You might want to read through it to see if you even really want to breed these fish.

As for tank size, I just had a pair of fish pair off in a 30 gal amongst 8 other Angels. Larger tanks are better to give the OTHER fish a chance to get away from pairs but they are not a necessity for growing them up for pairing. I remove pairs to their own tanks as soon as I see them pairing off. And for the record, I use 10 and 15 gal tanks for breeding so a 30 gal for 1 Angel is a bit overboard in my opinion.

Hope this helps
Old 08-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

+ 1 andy totally agree
Old 08-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wait dose the size if the tank matter for them to grow faster?
Old 08-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

picture your self being stuck in a 55 gallon barrel all your life . do you think you would grow to proper size and health.. same for fish they need proper room to move and grow or they will be stunted and small. sory not being rude just honest.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mccoy View Post
picture your self being stuck in a 55 gallon barrel all your life . do you think you would grow to proper size and health.. same for fish they need proper room to move and grow or they will be stunted and small. sory not being rude just honest.
+1 all the way. (I usually compare living in a closet but a barrel serves the same purpose ) In this case, size does matter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com