New babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyetexa2001

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My mollies had there babies today. and i was wondering if there is anything important i have to do to keep them alive. I dont want seperate them because i dont want too many adults when they get older. Is there any special food i have to give them or should i just leave them alone. Thanks bye :wink:

I give my fry some powdered fry food and a liquid fry food you can get them at your LFS. As far as doing anything special, no I don't. I just keep with my regular water changes, I look at them daily to see what changes they have gone through because they are a good indicator when something is wrong with the tank (but nothing is) and its survival of the fittest in all of my community tanks. Congrats on the babies. You can also crush flakes up (real well) and feed them those if they will take them. Mine didn't start taking flakes until they were a week old. Now they are almost 2 wks old eating almost everything the adults do except for the black worms.

I feed my babies the same food the adults get, crushed flakes. I don't wanta huge survival rate as I know they will just keep breeding. But you will want to keep up on the water changes, as you will probably iverfeed (it is natural) and the tank can foul up quickly.

If you want the babies to grow quickly and cheaply then cooked egg yoke (I use hard boiled eggs) is a wonderfully easy to use food source of pure protein. But once again it is messy and will require frequent water changes.

I put an algae wafer in for newborns and crush a bit of the flakes and put them at the top. If you don't want to keep alot of them, leave them in with the adults unless you want to keep a few then just separate a few and let the parents eat the rest. I've learned that keeping the whole brrod gets you in a world of fish... *eyes my 30 some odd baby mollies that just turned 3 months*

Back
Top Bottom