New guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noahtk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First of all I want to know do any of you know what kind of guppies these are. My friends had an overload and have them to me but didn't know much about them.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425083156.327755.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425083179.801063.jpg
Also does anyone know what wrong with that one back? Does the female look pregnant?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There's definitely something wrong with that one's spine. It is probably genetic. The female looks like she might be pregnant, but I'm not sure.

There's definitely something wrong with that one's spine. It is probably genetic. The female looks like she might be pregnant, but I'm not sure.

Thank you!

I agree, make sure that one doesn't breed..

Agreed. And if breeding does occur be prepared for TONS of fry. Guppies are notorious for the amount of spawning they will do if a male and female are mixed.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Agreed. And if breeding does occur be prepared for TONS of fry. Guppies are notorious for the amount of spawning they will do if a male and female are mixed.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks. I thinks I have 3 pregnant so I've gotta get ready!

I have my males and females separated by a divider so there isn't excessive fry, but four of them came pregnant so... Now I have too many fry.

Thanks. I thinks I have 3 pregnant so I've gotta get ready!

I'd suggest a breeder net or a small tank like 10-20 gallons with a sponge filter and heater to raise the fry in without worrying about any fish eating them. I mean 3 pregnant is a lot of fry, talking anywhere from 15-50 fry. See if your LFS a will take them once they have matured some or sell them on Craigslist.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'd suggest a breeder net or a small tank like 10-20 gallons with a sponge filter and heater to raise the fry in without worrying about any fish eating them. I mean 3 pregnant is a lot of fry, talking anywhere from 15-50 fry. See if your LFS a will take them once they have matured some or sell them on Craigslist.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Do you think the babies may have some deformities?

Do you think the babies may have some deformities?

If the parents has deformities it is possible. But I don't have a genetics degree either... Besides, not all deformities are life threatening. There's someone on the forum here with a neon tetra that has its spine in the "S" sideways shape. The fish looks like it has a bend in it but yet it's perfectly healthy and unique.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I don't know if the pregnant female bred with any of the 2 -3 deformed males. There are also 1-2 deformed females. 1 is pregnant. Will their babies be deformed?

Only time will tell, till then be sure you are prepared to take care of the coming fry.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

so the spine could be genetic meaning the trait could be passed on to fry and they could get a weird spine or it could be from a past deisese or it being in to small of a tank. so you could play it safe and remove the male or keep him in and hope for the best. and if you don't want fry just don't try to catch them if they give birth they will eat there fry and if they don't get rid of all of them youl get only a couple

The spine issue is a genetic deformity. I would remove the deformed fish, as that is a sign of inbreed fish, and that means the strain is going to lead to babies that will die easier and wont live as long. If you wanna breed them, then I would recommend breeding any of the non-deformed males with with some new females from the LFS as the strain will be compromised if the inbred fish continue to breed.

Back
Top Bottom