Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New guppy strain? What do I do with the fry???

So I had this cool image of a guppy I wanna breed. I was wondering what do I do with all the fry that I won't be using as breeders?

Old 07-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Also, what would happen if I bred two solid colored guppies? Will they take toward only one parent or will it be both colors scattered throughout out the fish?

Old 07-17-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

it takes years to develop a strain that is going to breed true. I have been trying to develop a chocolatechip wavey red rim tail mollie,with a long dorsalfin for two years. I have some. Now I have to get them to breed true. You have to start with virgin stock. Colors that already breed true. I started with wild Mexican green cave mollies and pure black fancytail male guppies. Now I have a few males and females that I need. two years to get to this point. A long way to go yet. Every thing depends on the gene pool that it took to get the guppy strain to breed true. Example green swordtails are the true strain. You only have the different color swords be cause they were crossed with the platy to develop different color swordtails.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

While it is in mind, it all sounds really cool to me. The genetics, what's going to happen if these two breed, and all the cuteness to come!!!! I'm pretty hyped to try. For me I wanna start with neon blue tux guppies I want to breed a few some stuff for the right color I want before I continue
Old 07-18-2017, 12:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Also that sounds really cool!!!! Although I only got bits and pieces of the names they sound awesome! May I see a picture of one?

Tags
fry, guppy, strain

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com