New here!! Need help guppies and platys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GorJess

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys this is my first time on here and I would like some help please!!I have just purchased over the last week, 4 female guppies 2 males, 2 female platys and 1 male.
Now I am actually going to breed them as feeding fish for my axelotl and to show my 3 year old son about reproduction.
Now the fish I purchased today (platy) is extremely fat and has a very dark spot on her belly so I know she is pregnant. I have taken her home and put her straight in the breeding box/net. Is that the right the thing???
I have heaps of plants and a ornament they can hide in but I really want to save the fry. Now how do I know when she is due? Have I maybe put her in too early??

First of all, welcome to AA!

A platy will have a very squared belly when they are about to give birth, when it is there, that is the right time to put it in the box
If you put her too soon, she will get too stressed and die, if you could put a pic up I would be more than happy to tell you if it is the right time
Welcome to AA!

She is getting close not sure if she is quite ready. Are the other fish chasing her around?

She is getting close not sure if she is quite ready. Are the other fish chasing her around?

Yes one of the males has been chasing her. She keeps hanging at the bottom of the rack near the plants. But wen I wake up she's still pregges! I tried to put her in a breeding box but I can't catch her!!
I bought a new male guppy today and a really pregnant platy and after a few hours my male platy that I've had for a week was dead and at the bottom of the tank!!

Ok what about the dead one?? What happened there?
And I can't catch her.. As soon as i put net in she swims for high heaven ..

Ok what about the dead one?? What happened there?
And I can't catch her.. As soon as i put net in she swims for high heaven ..

Catching the fish will take at least a few mins. Ive taken more than 10 mins to catch just a few extra minnows in a 20 gal. About the male though, I'm not sure what happened there. Are there any signs of sickness, fin nipping, etc?

Yes one of the males has been chasing her. She keeps hanging at the bottom of the rack near the plants. But wen I wake up she's still pregges! I tried to put her in a breeding box but I can't catch her!!
I bought a new male guppy today and a really pregnant platy and after a few hours my male platy that I've had for a week was dead and at the bottom of the tank!!

Do you have a heater in the tank? If she is either hanging around the plants/heater most of the day, looks pretty squared off, and has stopped eating for the most part, it means she is ready/very close the being ready. What's the male:female platy ratio now? ( including the dead one )

This is a pic of my two pregnant girls. I think the platy is closer than the guppy.

Attachments

• image-4039109864.jpg
    image-4039109864.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2273834428.jpg
    image-2273834428.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3948518196.jpg
    image-3948518196.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 77
The ratios are: 3 male guppies 5 females

3 female platy no males as the male died yesterday.
9 neon tetras supposed to be axelotl feeders but can't catch them
4 golden apple snails
One cAt fish

The ratios are: 3 male guppies 5 females

3 female platy no males as the male died yesterday.
9 neon tetras supposed to be axelotl feeders but can't catch them
4 golden apple snails
One cAt fish

So there was only 1 male platy? I would get one more female guppy because males can quarrel if there isn't enough females to "share". The ratio of m:f should be 1:2.

They are still eating. But isn't that what pregnant females do lol!!!

I thought the platy would be sooner... I'm worried the fry will get sucked into the filter. Can I put a pantyhose over it??
This is all totally new to me and I'm obsessed!! I'm having so much fun!!
There is a fish shop in my street I've never been there before and the last 2 weeks I have been 8 times lol!!
Please help me I really have no IDEa

After I get the jist of this I want to try spawning fish... But I am getting extremely impatient ......
I have spent so many hours watching these fish. And buying more pregnant ones so I can have babies sooner..

Attachments

• image-1106928716.jpg
    image-1106928716.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 57
  • image-1382271879.jpg
    image-1382271879.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 59
After I get the jist of this I want to try spawning fish... But I am getting extremely impatient ......
I have spent so many hours watching these fish. And buying more pregnant ones so I can have babies sooner..

The one in pic 2 is definitely not yet ready because the black spot is not that dark yet and still looks to "thin".
Getting fry to hatch and survive requires a lot of patience and time. :)

They are still eating. But isn't that what pregnant females do lol!!!

I thought the platy would be sooner... I'm worried the fry will get sucked into the filter. Can I put a pantyhose over it??
This is all totally new to me and I'm obsessed!! I'm having so much fun!!
There is a fish shop in my street I've never been there before and the last 2 weeks I have been 8 times lol!!
Please help me I really have no IDEa

Pantyhose will work great. That's what most people use to prevent fry from getting sucked up.
When the platys are really ready, they either stop eating or eat a lot less than usual.

Back
Top Bottom